Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/14/2004 6:15:13 AM EDT
I want to do a rivet build but one thing I am missing is the rivet tool to flatten the rivets.  What tool is it and where is a good place to buy it.   Instead of pressing barrel out, I may just do 4 screws on the front trunion and rivet the rest .
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Sears is the place you want to go. It's called a blind-rivet gun and you can probably find it in a kit with some rivets included. I won't quote a price but I will say that the sears ones are not very expensive and easy to use.

Good Luck with your project!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope your not suggesting using a pop rivet on a gun.

There are many ways to set a rivet but the tool you were asking about it a rivet buck. There are a few places to buy them online. I bought mine from a local industrial supply co.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I checked out a couple threads over on akfiles.com and one guy had a really good website talking about tools.  Looks like I could use a air hammer.  I'd  like to hear how others did their riveting and see hwo they did it and what they recommend.   It just seems like most people are diong screws.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually once I was ready to install the rivets I laid the receiver on one side against a metal table, and bucked one whole side using a pin punch, going through the top holes to peen the bottom rivets.  Then I flipped the receiver over and used a modified C-clamp to buck the other side.  I notched the foot of the clamp so that it would slide inside far enough to set the rivet.  I welded a short stud on the foot to buck the rivets in the barrel trunnion.  It really doesn't take much force to buck a rivet.  A rivet buck is the correct tool for setting rivets, but you can't really use one for AK receivers because you would have to install the rivets with the heads on the inside so that you can buck the stem on the outside...
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top