Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/4/2003 7:34:09 PM EDT
Ok Im reposting this up here due to lack of response in the SKS forum.  Also I thought you guys that got totally screwed by the evil tyrant Gary of SAI might be tired of hearing/reading about how you had been screwed.  I cant believe that hes not already someones 'bitch' in the pen yet.  Where's the ATF/FBI/Postal inspectors when you ACTUALLY need them.  Damn, are you guys sure he's not related to Bill Clinton?  Lie --Steal--Cheat!

The orginal post:

Yes, I have seen the 30 rounder detachable mags for the sks. I think they are ugly and over priced. At one time, I think I recall seeing a standard SKS that accepted AK mags. (I am not refering to the thumbhole stocked POS's that were imported about 7-8 yrs ago)

At one time I even had a Chinese SKS that took AK mags. It too was ugly with a stubby barrel, potbelly stock and non ergodynamic thumbhole placement (probaly fit a deformed monkey fine, but not my hand).

My questions are: Has anyone converted a standard SKS to take AK mags? Does someone out there offer a dropin set of parts? Any web site links?

Thanks

Edited the topic title to remove the insult. --GB
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 3:29:34 AM EDT
[#1]
You can be assured that someone, somewhere has done it.  I don't doubt that.  I've never heard of a conversion kit for sale.  The main reason for this is there's not any market for one.

A company needs to be able to sell the stuff it makes.  If no one wants to buy, no one will make it.  The low price of the Saiga, which is a very similar configuration to the SKS, and already takes detachable mags, kinda puts the kabash on a conversion.

You'd need to convert an SKS with enough US parts to meet the regs, same as if you were converting a single-stack ten round AK.  Then you'd actually need to make whatever parts you need fo the mag.  Then do whatever gunsmithing you need to get all that to work together.  IIRC the receiver on the SKS/D (detachable AK mag SKS) had to be modified from the original physically.  Add the cost up for all that, and it's much cheaper to buy a Saiga.

Not knocking your idea.  A Saiga is definately not an SKS, so if you want to make an SKS take AK mags, have at it.  But in the end, it's probably cheaper to buy one of the Chinese ones you've already had in the past and change the stock to something more human formed.  If you just want a "conventional" 7.62x39 (i.e. no pistol grip) then the Saiga would be the way to go.

Ross

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 3:59:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I have several SKS's.  Thankfully I bought them when they were cheap.  They are suprisingly accurate. I also have lots of Ak mags.  So you can see where the idea came from.  The US parts count shouldnt be an issue since I would/could remove the bayonet lug and the only other evil feature would be the detachable mag.  Im not even sure I would have to remove the lug to be legal.  I cant see any point to buying a M or D model with the SAR's being as cheap as they are.

I was just looking for a cheap and easy way to marry two things that I work well.

And my ar 9mm upper/sten mag conversion should be done this week and I plan on finishing coating my AK's (I'll post pics) Thursday/Friday so I will be in need of another project and have thought for years this would be a good idea.  Of course, it was a better idea when SKS's were $89 and Ak mags were $3-4 all day long.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#4]
i know that kreb's custom guns used to offer an sks modiication to take ak mags.  don't see it on their website anymore!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:49:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I know that SAI has converted standard SKSs to SKS-D models with detachable mags.  If they can do it, others should be able to as well.  However, if it were me, I'd just spend the same money to get an AK.

And before you decide I'm somehow praising Gucciano's work here, be advised that I was one of the first to file with the KAG against him, and that I was the first to post KAG contact info on the net for everybody.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#6]
If you start with an SKS that was imported before the ban,you would'nt have to worry about the US parts count or bayonet lug.Pre-ban is Pre-ban.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I liked the idea of a SKS that accepted magazines so I bought a model "D" at a gun show. After shooting it quite a bit I found the fit was'nt what I wanted,so I traded it. The thing that I disliked the most was the VERY heavy trigger pull, I've been told that there some quality drop-in trigger assenblies out there.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top