Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/4/2008 7:07:38 AM EDT
As the subject says - Can I replace the oem side folder that comes on the SLR-106FR with a K-VAR standard, non-folding NATO length polymer butt-stock?

And to answer the obvious question "Why would I want to do this?"
The answer is simple, I do not like side/under folding AK's that much, and would prefer the straight stock. Plus if I add optics using the rail mount, the folder becomes useless anyway.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#1]
You would have to replace the rear trunion which will be very difficult.  You would be left with  ugly holes in the receiver.  The resale value will drop almost to nothing.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The sidefolding stock is exactly like the WARSAW-length fixed stock. You would be accomplishing nothing by changing it. Don't fold it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think he really wants to change the stock.

Anti-gun State police interpret Attorney General's (long ago deposed, anti-gun Kelly) interpretation of the law.

Present "pro-gun", elected, 2nd term republican AG has no balls to re-interpret the law correctly and caters to enemies of 2-nd Amendment.
He's a power hungry politician doing what's best for him, not the state's Constitution.
Antis, police, libs, leftists and Marxist scum love this pretender of gun rights.

To make the story short, folding stock rifles must meet 26" length requirement with stock folded and muzzle device removed.
This is the decree that contradicts Michigan law and Constitution.

Many, if not most of Michigan gun enthusiasts (second class citizens), do not wish to screw up the rifle by welding anything to the muzzle and would rather settle for non-folding stock.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As the subject says - Can I replace the oem side folder that comes on the SLR-106FR with a K-VAR standard, non-folding NATO length polymer butt-stock?

And to answer the obvious question "Why would I want to do this?"
The answer is simple, I do not like side/under folding AK's that much, and would prefer the straight stock. Plus if I add optics using the rail mount, the folder becomes useless anyway.

The back of the receiver is cut differently than a standard non-folding receiver.  The rivet holes are different, as mentioned and there's the slot on the left side of the rifle for the stock latch.  

If you don't like the SLR-106, the only real option is to sell the rifle and buy a different .223 AK like a SAR-3 or maybe a VEPR if you can find one.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]
What Richard257 said...

It's important to understand that "the folder law" in MI is NOT A LAW - it's an AG opinion.  Here is the actual TEXT of that opinion...

http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/1980s/op06280.htm

Now - you'll note that the opinion says NOTHING about the manner of "fixing" a folder so that it is no longer a folder:  it simply has to "not fold".  JustDave?  You should strongly consider pinning your SLR106 in a manner that is easily reversed with tools.  The key is "with tools" - ANY rifle may be made to fail the insane AG opinion if tools are used (example:  any hunting rifle + a $2.00 saw).

This is what we typically do in MI with AMDs... use the folding stock mechanism, but PIN it by removing the spring and inserting a chunk of Aluminum Tubing.  Reversable, but it requires tools.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What Richard257 said...

It's important to understand that "the folder law" in MI is NOT A LAW - it's an AG opinion.  Here is the actual TEXT of that opinion...

Now - you'll note that the opinion says NOTHING about the manner of "fixing" a folder so that it is no longer a folder:  it simply has to "not fold".  JustDave?  You should strongly consider pinning your SLR106 in a manner that is easily reversed with tools.  The key is "with tools" - ANY rifle may be made to fail the insane AG opinion if tools are used (example:  any hunting rifle + a $2.00 saw).

This is what we typically do in MI with AMDs... use the folding stock mechanism, but PIN it by removing the spring and inserting a chunk of Aluminum Tubing.  Reversable, but it requires tools.

+1  
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't think he really wants to change the stock.

Anti-gun State police interpret Attorney General's (long ago deposed, anti-gun Kelly) interpretation of the law.

Present "pro-gun", elected, 2nd term republican AG has no balls to re-interpret the law correctly and caters to enemies of 2-nd Amendment.
He's a power hungry politician doing what's best for him, not the state's Constitution.
Antis, police, libs, leftists and Marxist scum love this pretender of gun rights.

To make the story short, folding stock rifles must meet 26" length requirement with stock folded and muzzle device removed.
This is the decree that contradicts Michigan law and Constitution.

Many, if not most of Michigan gun enthusiasts (second class citizens), do not wish to screw up the rifle by welding anything to the muzzle and would rather settle for non-folding stock.

That is the true heart of the matter...
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What Richard257 said...

I had though of this as well, but didn't know if it was an easy "fix".  Fix the stock so it cannot be changed back easily without tools - and I have tools

I actually do not have the rifle (err - pistol, also according to MI Law, at least as long as it is a folder ) yet, but I am going to have my local FFL order it soon.

Now, how does it work with pistol registration (functional firearm under 30") and an arm such as this which will have the feature which causes it to be classified as a pistol in MI disabled, basically turning it from pistol to non pistol. I don't yet have my CPL, so am unsure about going through the entire purchase permit/safety inspection/registration BS with this purchase. Stupid MI nuisance laws...

But anyway, thanks for the tip!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Before you buy it make sure the Warsaw length stock is what you want. The NATO length is longer. Even if you pinned the stock in place you cannot switch to the longer stock.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What Richard257 said...

With muzzle device folding rifle meets 26" requirement.
Why not blue locktite the muzzle device? When locktited, one needs tools to remove it.
What about crush washers? Need tools also.
That douchebag's opinion is not about permanently attaching anything.
It states that the rifle cannot be lengthened or shortened at will.

Did almighty state police make any new firearms laws or new interpretations of the interpretation? They always do.
Where's NRA? Oh, I forget, they're busy collecting the dues.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Blue Loctite would be fine - there is no MI definition of "non removable".

But before anyone does this - read that AG opinion again.  Do a search for "muzzle device" or "flashhider".  Find ANY reference to "measured with muzzle device removed".

The AG opinion says NOTHING about this - it got started in a few MI jurisdictions by the Police acting on their own.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Will you sell the poly folder? If so I am interested!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#13]
What a shame, those are some totally f'ed laws!  A rifle with a folding stock is a pistol which requires registration?  You've got to be shitting me.  I feel for you Brother.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What a shame, those are some totally f'ed laws!  A rifle with a folding stock is a pistol which requires registration?  You've got to be shitting me.  I feel for you Brother.

You got that right. No SBR's, SBS's, AOW's, DD's, and any firearm that is shorter than 30" in length and can be fired in that configuration is a pistol and must be registered as such. But don't let the barrel be shorter than 16" or it is an SBR, even though totally legal by federal rules with the tax paid, no soup for you or go to jail...

Some legislation was just went through our state legislature that was hoped to rectify some of these infringements on our freedoms, but by the time the bills reached the governor's desk they had been gutted and really didn't gain us a thing. But they are being haled as a great victory for MI gun owners. (Check out the MI Hometown forum for details if interested.)
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top