Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/22/2009 12:58:00 PM EDT
The tritium night sights on the back sight of my Yugo M70 ar completely burnt out. The front night sight doesn't even appear to have a tritium vial, it just has a small circle that looks like i could fill up with paint.

How would won go about fixing the night sights? Would some simple glow in the dark paint from hobby lobby do the trick?
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered 24hr glow in the dark paint, painted the 'holes' white with nail polish, then filled in the hole with green glow in the dark paint, then sealed it with clear nail polish. Seems to work pretty good - not as good as tritium but this cost me all of $15.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#3]
What about the sites from nitesiters?
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine came with the paint on holes only so I tried the glow paint. With around 10-15 sec exposure to a sure fire light it glowed all night. Not super bright but enough to see it if your eyes are adjusted to total darkness. I would think outside all day in the sun it would be super bright all night but I have never tried it. These pics are 5 sec with the surefire

darn room hard to take pic so it was blury

with room light on no flash

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Where did you get the glow paint?
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#6]

here

they have water based and solvent based, but the water base is what I used and its cheaper. They have neat pictures of the many uses.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder if the weather proof is worht getting?

Quoted:

here

they have water based and solvent based, but the water base is what I used and its cheaper. They have neat pictures of the many uses.

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe, or put clear nail polish on after the glow paint, that should seal it up
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not really sure what I'm going to do yet. I just removed the tritium vials out of the rear site. One came out easily and I completely shattered the other one but got it out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=89&t=121926

check this thread for more info
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I got three Yugos, two with tritium sights and one with paint.  The tritiums are pretty much out (or at least not as bright as my other more modern firearms with tritium sights) and therefore would like to replace them.  I was thinking about getting the aftermarket tritium sights that replace the front and rear sights, but this is a much better idea.  Not having done it I'm curious how you go about removing them (use tweezers or something?) and how do you get them to stay after you put the new ones in?  As far as rear sight paint I got some at Cabelas or Sportsmans a few years ago and have plenty of it left.  That is the best route when it comes to paint.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:55:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I busted my spent vials out by chucking a small drill bit in a tap handle and turning it by hand.  I used a dab of clear silicone on the end of the tritium tube to retain it in the sight.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#13]
To the guys who did the painting, what did you use as a brush?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#14]
A toothpick.  One of those flat kinds.  I mixed it using the toothpick and then just fill the space with the paint and then using the toothpick remove the excess while smoothing it out.  Let it dry and I actually use a clear lacquer to protect it afterwards.  
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top