Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:57:48 AM EDT
I have a Bulgarian AK74 that I would like to replace the barrel. Is this possible for a gunsmith with the right tools to do?

This barrel is not chrome lined and has been shot only with corrosive ammo. But the last time I shot it (2010), I did not clean it and I imagine that the barrel needs to be replaced.

Yes it was a dumb thing not to do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:26:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you cleaned it to see how bad it is? Frosty pitting does not prevent shooting, and you usually will not know the difference. Really large/deep pits especially in the chamber could be the end of the barrel. Take a look, you may be able to save it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I would not go to the expense of replacing a barrel without cleaning it and shooting it.
If the bore is so badly damaged that accuracy or function is not acceptable, it is possible to remove the barrel and replace it if with the right tools and knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#3]
buying and installing a virgin barrel may cost  as much as having the gun built in the first place - definitely a last resort.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input. The chamber and receiver look fine. How would I know if the barrel bore is good or not?

I have not looked inside the barrel (just noticed pitting on the threaded end where the muzzle brake screws on).

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]

I have not looked inside the barrel

that might be a good start.

As would shooting it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Clean the barrel until you don't get any more corrosion out of it. Clean the chamber as well.
Clean it again the next day. If you get more corrosion out of the barrel, clean it until you no longer get any out. Then clean it again the next day. Repeat until all corrosion is removed.
Shoot the rifle. If the accuracy is acceptable you don't need a new barrel.
Remember to clean the rifle after firing it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#7]
clean it look down the bore tell us if its shiny or dark and how bad pitting may be.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shoot the rifle. If the accuracy is acceptable you don't need a new barrel.

Besides accuracy, what else could I expect to happen when shooting with a pitted barrel? Jamming?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Dude - you have to exert a tiny bit of effort yourself.  

Clean your  rifle
examine the bore
shoot your rifle.

Until you've done these things, you're just wasting everyone's time.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dude - you have to exert a tiny bit of effort yourself.  

Clean your  rifle
examine the bore
shoot your rifle.

Until you've done these things, you're just wasting everyone's time.

THIS

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Dude - I'm only asking some questions on what to look for so when I go home I will a better idea.

Sorry to of wasted your time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Have you thought about replacing the barrel yourself? Not that difficult with the proper tools.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Whatever, dude.  Lot of experienced people here.  Some may like spoon feeding others.  Not me.

Hey - I have this box here.  What if it has a cat in it?  Then what should I do?  Well does it have a cat in it?  I don't know, I haven't opened it.  WELL OPEN IT THEN!  Hey - I'm just trying to figure out what to do if it does have a cat in it.  Of course, maybe it has a grilled cheese sandwich in it . ..  what should I do then?  Well DOES it have a grilled cheese sandwich in it?  I don't know, I haven't opened it yet . . ..
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The chamber and receiver look fine.

If the chamber isn't pitted, I would not expect functional problems, but the proof is in the shooting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I have fired a number of surplus rifles with extensive barrel pitting. If enough of the rifling is left in the barrel and the crown is tight you are good to go. Pitting inside the bore doesn't usually make a rifle unsafe to shoot. Use common sense. I would be curious to know what your gas system looks like. Remember that the most common ammunition available for AKs is corrosive. I'm sure plenty of rifles in service today were put away without being cleaned.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Whatever, dude.  Lot of experienced people here.  Some may like spoon feeding others.  Not me.

Hey - I have this box here.  What if it has a cat in it?  Then what should I do?  Well does it have a cat in it?  I don't know, I haven't opened it.  WELL OPEN IT THEN!  Hey - I'm just trying to figure out what to do if it does have a cat in it.  Of course, maybe it has a grilled cheese sandwich in it . ..  what should I do then?  Well DOES it have a grilled cheese sandwich in it?  I don't know, I haven't opened it yet . . ..

That's funny right there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#17]
So how much are we talking for a re-barrel?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#18]
It usually runs around $200 for a decent gunsmith to rebarrel an ak but they charge by the hour so that's a guesstimate for you. That's not the problem... The problem is the current situation on barrels... You should research this topic more and decide if an american barrel would be ok to you. Personally I have always argued here that american barrels are not that bad but others disagree.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Then maybe don't reply.  

OP, like others have said check the barrel.  They can shoot pretty good even if they look pretty rough.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Clean the barrel, then clean it again. Look down the bore, if it looks like a rusted out pipe, it's probably toast. If not, shoot it, and check for key holing and general accuracy. If your 100yd groups are more than about 6", the barrel is on it's way out.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top