Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/8/2003 8:06:59 AM EDT
Where can I get these?
Or could I just use black wood screws of a similar size? Thanks...
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, I was just about to ask about this myself. I've damn near stripped the screws that are on it now and still havent got the buttstock off. Im worried it will be a lost cause if I try any more, so I need to figure out how to best remove them and what to replace them with once I do get them off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#2]
bumped~ NEED HELP HERE PEOPLE!
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
 K-VAR

www.k-var.com

Look under spare parts & accessories, and then under screws.

Chuck
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:05:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Are the K-Var screws of any better quality than the crap ones that come on SAR's? I'm not just looking for a replacement but an upgrade...
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditto!

I took my SAR1 to my local gunsmith and had them remove the screws for me. Now I have my SAR1 completely dissasembled and Im ready to work on refinishing the stock. In the mean time I would like to find better screws to replace the ones that were just removed from the buttstock assembly.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
K-var advertises their screws as an improved design, but I have never seen them in person to speak on it definitively.

From the picture on their site, they appear to be phillips head screws, which would be a definite improvement over the straight slot types that come standard on Romanian rifles.

Call them and ask.

Chuck
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]

I called Kvar about the screws and they said they have the screws for the wood buttstocks, but they didn't indicate that they were the "improved" version. I forgot to ask about THAT critical detail.(DOH!)

On thier website the part number- AK03W (W=Wood) listed as Bulgarian part or Bulgarian made, doesn't indicate that it's "improved".  Don't know if that makes any difference. Hope this helps.

I'll be ordering me a few tonight.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:08:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Money shot,
Keep me posted on how they work..Inquiring minds want to know!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Will do. I havent placed my order just yet, I was waiting for payday to get here so I could order a bunch of goodies, not just a few screws. lol
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the romanian slotted head screws ARE crap!

the steel is very soft.

I agree that the screws are soft. But, how do you stake a phillips head screw?
AB
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Very soft indeed.  How does one get them out after they are striped?
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Like I said, I took mine to a local gun shop and they took it in the back and did thier magic. I dont know how they removed the screws, I was just relieved they were able to. Took all of 3 minutes I'd say.

I finally got four new replacement screws from Kvar. I cant really tell the difference from the old ones and the new ones, except the new ones aren't stripped now.....yet... :D  But I made sure not to screw them in so damn tight that taking them out sometime later on will make me strip the heads again.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#14]
FWIW, I have an SAR1 buttstock,trunion,and screws that I don't need anymore. Make me an offer.
AB
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top