Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/28/2005 4:33:33 PM EDT
Ive banged the pins out of both already but cant get either to budge.  Anybody ever replaced these or just the gas block?  Im really familiar with AR's and using hand tools on guns, but Ive just hit a snag here.  Anybody ever done this?  Id prefer not to do any cutting or destroying here.  

Also, I cut the spot weld holding the barrel nut on and removed it already, making sure to get all the weld material so thats not a problem.  Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#1]
they are press fit on
take an adjustabe wrench and twist them then push it off
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#2]
If I were to cut it off and replace the sight base and gas block, would they be just as hard to get on even though they wont be pressed on?  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If I were to cut it off and replace the sight base and gas block, would they be just as hard to get on even though they wont be pressed on?  

Id say so. You might try heating the FSB and GB up. Use a big piece of wood and smack them off. Also preheat the new FSB and GB before install and it will go on eaiser. Wear some gloves
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Go slow and use a bigger hammer, get some MAP gas and heat up the sight portion and try not to heat up the barrel.  You can even put a large peice of metal on the barrel to act as a heat sink.  Then wack the thing off.  To put it on stick the barrel in the freezer heat the front sight post and wack it back on.  "Wack off, Wack on" simple, its not rocket science, its an AK.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
My problem seems to be bigger than that.  I got em to move a little but I damn near destroyed it torquing on it.  Are the gas block and sight base going to be that big of a bugger to put on?  So far, heat hasnt even made a dent in it its on there so tight.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My problem seems to be bigger than that.  I got em to move a little but I damn near destroyed it torquing on it.  Are the gas block and sight base going to be that big of a bugger to put on?  So far, heat hasnt even made a dent in it its on there so tight.  

Sounds like you got the one Mongo put on, soak in CLP and continue bashing......
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]
did your barrel have threads under the barrel nut?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, 14X1 LH.  I was just glad I didnt have to thread it myself.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:39:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Did you ever get the front sight and the gas block off or are you still suffering?

Yours,
One Rusty Nut.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I ended up cutting them off.  I got my parts from k-var last week and am in the process of locating an arbor press to finish it up.  The old ones were on there just too tight for me to turn em and remove.  My only problem though is finding a place that might rent or let me borrow a hydraulic press for 5 minutes.  

Anybody have a good idea of where I could find a press where I wouldnt have to buy it?  Ive tried Dixie rents and some other tool rental places and I just cant justify buying a press right now.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Loook for local industrial rental companies, Home Depot dosen't carry it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I had to cut my FSB off my SAR2 because it wouldnt budge and replaced it with a threaded FSB from K-VAR.. all I had to do to get it on was tap it on with a hammer... no need for a press.. just a hammer
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't believe that hammering on the gas block and the front sight is a really good way to re install them.  I would use a press if one can be found.  Aternatively, an "I" beam bar clamp may also be used to press the gas block and the front site back onto the barrel.  Go to Gunco.net.  Do a search for hcpookie.  He has a web site and showes how to use this clamp to press barrels back into front trunions.  I am sure that you could use the same set up, and a piece of tubing to press the gas block back on.  Then press the front sight back on.

You might also check with machine shops in your area.  One of them might be willing to press these items back on to you barrel.

yours,
One Rusty Nut.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top