Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/27/2006 1:54:22 PM EDT
How do you go about removing the rivits from a good receiver that you want to reuse?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Very, very, very carefully.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
If you know anyone with a mill, this is the best way. I had to do it one time and it was easy. Just set it up in there and lower the end mill to the receiver with a .003" feeler gauge between the receiver and the mill bit. Mill the rivet head off and then use a cold chisle and remove whats left of the rivet. Then just punch the rivet out with a hammer and punch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you guys think i can use my drill press?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do you guys think i can use my drill press?

It's possible, but rather difficult; I've done it.  You'll have to ground as much of the revit head as possible.  Center punch to make sure the bit doesn't walk on you and drill about an 8th of an inch down.  That's how I got mine off...all marked up, but salvageable.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:28:48 AM EDT
[#5]
use a bench grinder to take off all but 1/64 of the rivet head
remove barrel
center punch and drill with 1/8 bit about 3/16 deep
now stick a punch in the hole and drive the rivet out
the top will rip off and you have the rivets removed with no damage
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I grind down 2/3 the rivet heads with a dremel and fiber cutting wheel, then I secure the receiver in my drill press vise, center a drill bit (one that is about 1/2 the dia. of the rivet) on the rivet and very carefully drill through it

Tom
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top