Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 9:53:34 PM EDT
I dremmeled all the rivets as close to flush as I could get without cutting the trigger guard, trunion, and rear tang.  The thing is, when I go to punch them out, they don't budge.  Am I doing something wrong?  I m going to try and find bar stock to put between the gap in the front trunion just under the rear 2 rivets.  I don't want to bend that.  So any advice and/or pictures of techniques?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You are on the right track.  Now use pliers and pry bars to remove the remmants of the sheet metal off of the trunion and stock block.  The trigger guard can be a PITA because it is relatively flimsy and has some parts that you don't want to damage.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I've already pulled all of the old reciever off.  I am just wondering how to remove the rivets now.  Do I just drill them out?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Center punch, center drill, small bit and then punch and hammer.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, the rivets on the trigger guard are a major PITA.  I've just been angling the rear part of the trigger guard on my anvil and whacking it off with a center punch and hammer.  For the four revits up front, I've been positioning the trigger on my vise so as just the edge of the selector stop-plate is supporting it, then punching them off.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:37:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I just open up the piece of old receiver and grind the inside of the rivets off.  Then I can take the receiver stub off, slightly grind the remaining rivet, center punch and drill.  Then just punch out the remaining rivet.  Fast and easy.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top