Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/30/2009 4:06:37 AM EST
I have a sweet looking KBI SA-85 with threaded barrel and I wanted to finally change out the fsb/gb so I can use a detent for the brake and also store a cleaning rod. I tried tapping out the pins, but they seem to be unmovable. Has anyone tried to remove them? How did they do it?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:16:32 AM EST
a lot of patience. Some are harder than others. You can try some penetrating oil om it. Let it soak overnight and then get to it again. I've had extremely troublesome ones myself. L'audace, L'audace! Toujour L'audace!
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:09:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2009 5:12:37 AM EST by CarlosC]
I have removed/replaced/reinstalled FSBs and GBs on several AKs. I used my home-made pin pusher to get the pins out....no hammers, no whacking, no miss and scratch.

Before on my SSR

After

My pin pusher. Easy to make from some U-shaped steel, a couple of bolts, some steel pins, and a small aluminum block.

in action on my AMD

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:12:24 PM EST
I need one of those homemade pinpushers...I don't want to pay a gunsmith
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:16:02 PM EST
im liking that pin pusher...... but take it from me i did the same thing on my sa 85 once the pins are out the fsb and gb are still a bitch to get off
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:16:05 AM EST
Question - I am removing FSB from Maadi RPM, removed both pins (no issue) but the FSB doesn't budge. The barrel is threaded, does the FSB spin off/on?? or is it suppose to slip over threads? Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:48:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By jpk33:
Question - I am removing FSB from Maadi RPM, removed both pins (no issue) but the FSB doesn't budge. The barrel is threaded, does the FSB spin off/on?? or is it suppose to slip over threads? Any help is appreciated.

FSBs are pressed on to the end of the barrel. To remove them, try home-made tool #2:

If that doesn't work, try heating it with a propane torch. If all else fails, cut a horizontal notch on the side and hit it one time with a chisel and hammer. Of course, the FSB will be ruined, but it will come off.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:51:21 AM EST
Originally Posted By UT-ARShooter:
I need one of those homemade pinpushers...I don't want to pay a gunsmith

I used to have a couple of them made up and I offered their use for free here on AR15.com as long as the guys paid for the shipping both ways and returned it to me in one week. Unfortunately, a few guys thought they should hang on to them permanently.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 11:41:31 AM EST
I would gladly buy both of those homemade tools from you. Your second tool looks like a motorcycle chain break. Is it?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 11:42:21 AM EST
I would gladly buy both of those homemade tools from you. Your second tool looks like a motorcycle chain break. Is it?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:20:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By CarlosC:
Originally Posted By jpk33:

FSBs are pressed on to the end of the barrel. To remove them, try home-made tool #2:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/AMD%20barrel/DSC00678.jpg

If that doesn't work, try heating it with a propane torch. If all else fails, cut a horizontal notch on the side and hit it one time with a chisel and hammer. Of course, the FSB will be ruined, but it will come off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Rifles/DSC00384.jpg

I need to machine my pulley pullers down, they're too rounded. They didn't work so well when I tried them.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:21:16 PM EST
It's a simple gear puller from Sears. I use a brass vacuum adapter and stick the nipple down the barrel. That way, the puller pushes against the brass, not the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:03:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By CarlosC:
I have removed/replaced/reinstalled FSBs and GBs on several AKs. I used my home-made pin pusher to get the pins out....no hammers, no whacking, no miss and scratch.

Before on my SSR
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Rifles/Bulgarian/SSR10.jpg

After
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Rifles/Bulgarian/SSRrtfrontsight.jpg

My pin pusher. Easy to make from some U-shaped steel, a couple of bolts, some steel pins, and a small aluminum block.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Rifles/Tool3.jpg

in action on my AMD
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Tool10.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Tool12.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Tool7.jpg

Sweeeeet! Thanks! How did you get a pin into the screw? Drill a hole through it?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:13:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 4:17:15 AM EST by CarlosC]
Sweeeeet! Thanks! How did you get a pin into the screw? Drill a hole through it?

Yes, but there's more to it. I use three identical bolts, each with a hole drilled in it, but to different depths. The one with the deepest hole, and least amount of pin showing, is used first just to loosen the pin and move it a few millimeters. By having very little pin exposed, it keeps the flexing to a minimum during the hardest part - simply loosening the FSB pins. The second bolt moves the FSB pins a little more. The last bolt with the shallowest hole and most pin exposed goes last and pushes the FSB pins all the way out.

Other things about the tool:
1. The whole assembly is lined in felt to prevent scratching the finish
2. To gain maximum leverage against the FSB pins while supporting the FSB, the bolt on the opposite side of the pusher secures the FSB along the barrel. It is also cut with a slight concave shape so the FSB curve along the barrel fits into the bolt's curve sort of like this: bolt ===( (==) barrel
3. The aluminum block supports the FSB along the top and is just above the curve of the barrel. It has a groove cut it in that lines up with the pusher pin so the FSB pins have a place to go as they get pushed out. This whole thing creates a sandwich that fully supports the FSB and stabilizes it.
4. Even with everything being steel and sitting in a vice, some pins are in there so tight, that the steel assembly will bend before the FSB pins break loose. No shit. The good thing is that it can all be bent back, but it is better once everything is set up to use a steel c-clamp along the top of the tool to provide support for the top of the tool that is not in the vice.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:05:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By choobie:
I have a sweet looking KBI SA-85 with threaded barrel and I wanted to finally change out the fsb/gb so I can use a detent for the brake and also store a cleaning rod. I tried tapping out the pins, but they seem to be unmovable. Has anyone tried to remove them? How did they do it?

If you could be content to just have the brake plunger and spring in the same FSB without the cleaning rod stop on the bottom, you can install the spring and plunger by removing just the front sight pin (assuming the FSB is already drilled for it like all of these I've seen). On my SA85M, it was near to impossible to remove it. I couldn't do anything with the pin so I took it to a local AK builder. He worked on it for about a half hour but finally got it out. He also had to grind some material off the rear of the plunger to get it to retract enough but it was a worthwhile project. Did you thread the barrel yourself without removing the FSB? If so, you'll probably need to cut down the barrel in front of the FSB so the brake will thread all the way to it, since there's no way to thread flush to an obstruction like that. An alternative would be to taper the threads inside the brake so it threads flush to the FSB. Here's mine after relieving the threads in front of the FSB and before installing the plunger.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:51:53 PM EST
Tried your modified gear-puller method and it worked great (a little tricky) but removed FSB with ease and no damage to threads! Now how does one go about pressing a new FSB on? Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:49:47 PM EST
My method includes a high tech rubber mallet and a piece of 2x4
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:50:45 PM EST
Glad to see my initial thoughts were confirmed. Thanks
Top Top