Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/11/2005 5:04:21 PM EDT
Curious, my kit from DPH arrived today and I'm looking to start on it.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:51:20 PM EDT
I think the DNA method you are referring to involves putting a very small amount of DNA on a rag and rubbing down the wood with it to clean it up. Note, this won't remove the black band on the stock in case you wanted to do that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:09:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tapeo1:
I think the DNA method you are referring to involves putting a very small amount of DNA on a rag and rubbing down the wood with it to clean it up. Note, this won't remove the black band on the stock in case you wanted to do that.

Umm..what's DNA?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:27:34 PM EDT
Denatured Alcohol
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:36:11 PM EDT
Deoxyribonucleic acid.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:10:05 PM EDT
Oh gee, that was simple...What can I use to repaint the black mark around the black buttstock band to make it even? It's sort of flaking off in a few spots and it would look better if it was even.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:40:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 2:42:32 AM EDT by harley_nut]
Getting that black stripe off and leaving the shellac should be a good trick. The black paint will come off with laquer thinner but so will everything else.

My guess is that if you want to get the black off, you end up refinishing. Maybe you should be thinking along the line of just retouching the black paint with some testors model kit paint and leave it at that.

Great!! just saw the "repaint" in your message. (note to self - need more sleep) The model paint is good for touchup - easy to apply and not hot enough to cause problems with the shellac.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:51:57 AM EDT
tape01 posted the "touch up" method. The complete redo method involves putting the stock/handgaurds into a gallon ziploc along with DNA. The DNA will dissolve off the shellac if it has enough time to work. Then you can refinish however you want.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:03:18 AM EDT
I got a very bad mental picture when I read the thread title! Thanks for clearing up the DNA=denatured alcohol thing
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:04:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tread1:
I got a very bad mental picture when I read the thread title! Thanks for clearing up the DNA=denatured alcohol thing

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:51:10 AM EDT
Clinton refinished Monica's dress
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:57:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rrc870:
Clinton refinished Monica's dress

Bet it wasn't a blonde after that!

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:34:31 AM EDT
Any other advice? How about staining? I want to lighten the color of the wood a fair bit so you can see the laminate wood better.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:47:35 PM EDT
If you don't care about the black band, just spray it with finsih stripper. Then steel wool and wash the parts. When they are dry, hit them with either store bought stain or your favortie color mix of ritz pigment and DNA... That will dry almost instantly.

Then if you wish you can mask it and use black spray paint to reapply the black band... or skip that step.

Last coat with amber shellac, that's what's on the Rommie stock to start with. As I said in the Ritz post I prefer to airbrush it as it gives a muchbetter and even coat. However the Rommie version appeared to have been dipped or brushed as it was pretty thicka nd tended to glob around areas like the sling loop indent.
Top Top