Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 3:55:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 8:48:20 PM EST by rube79]
We sandblasted the rifle yesterday and a few things became very evident. I probably will moly resin it tomorrow if i have time. Right now its soaked in CorrosionX and I will leave it in gas over night inorder to degrease it. Mike brought life back to the gas piston too (really wish i had a before pic)

1. A Pin is worn to hell... He is using a G2 single hook trigger. Take a lookie
2. The FSB is 22mm and he does not have much options on the muzzle b.
3. Mike milled the bayonet and cleaning rod lugs off.

Should he replace the pin or just swap places w/ the other?

Should we install a different FSB or should be just use a 22mm mb? The 74 brake is a 24mm and is not safe to use; wrong about it being a 22mm mb. Its just not far enough on the threads to get a Grip on the FSB. The wobble is pretty bad imo, but if we file off a little excess it should fit pretty good (thx Mike). Please post pix or links to 22mm mb.

My camera sucks sorry

Edit: I really wish we had "before" pix of the rifle. Nasty finish with rust forming under the paint in places. Muzzle looked like shiiiiit, but all is well now
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:17:22 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:24:26 PM EST

+1 on the 22mm muzzle device.

http://www.ak-103.com/parts.html

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:30:10 PM EST
A 24mm muzzle device won't even engage the threads on a 22mm FSB to stay on, you can slide it on and off.... that comp is a Romy 22mm.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:39:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 8:54:02 PM EST by rube79]
Originally Posted By PhreakMode:
A 24mm muzzle device won't even engage the threads on a 22mm FSB to stay on, you can slide it on and off.... that comp is a Romy 22mm.

Yeah my krink's muzzle device slides on and off the 22mm. This 74 brake is so worn and wobbled so bad i thought it was a 24mm.

Looks like his best choice will be to buy a new 22mm mb.

thx for the input again

edit: The Muzzle brake is just not far enough on the threads to get a Grip on the FSB. The wobble is pretty bad imo, but if we file off a little excess it should fit pretty good. Not my idea, but i wish i would have thought of it

I can definitely make this 74 muzzle brake look like new and fit perfectly. All because of the information provided from this site and Mike's help of course

Thanks to all ya'll
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:57:17 PM EST
The answer was in my face the entire time. Damn i have that fresh feeling again

thanks again, any more feedback will be appreciated
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:08:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By rube79:
Yeah my krink's muzzle device slides on and off the 22mm. This 74 brake is so worn and wobbled so bad i thought it was a 24mm.

Looks like his best choice will be to buy a new 22mm mb.

thx for the input again

edit: The Muzzle brake is just not far enough on the threads to get a Grip on the FSB. The wobble is pretty bad imo, but if we file off a little excess it should fit pretty good. Not my idea, but i wish i would have thought of it

I can definitely make this 74 muzzle brake look like new and fit perfectly. All because of the information provided from this site and Mike's help of course

Thanks to all ya'll

As scromer pointed out in my origional thread for this rifle:

Originally Posted By scromer:
That's an adapter. Look at the top picture showing the Romanian front sight base with threads. The threads don't begin until the end of the spring loaded pin. The theads on your rifle go all the way back to the front sight tower. Also you have two tack welds. You can remove those tack welds with a dremel tool...

Here's The Pics:

Romanian FSB w/ Threads Built-In

My Rifle with adaptor welded on

So that makes since that the break won't thread on all the way, because the threads are too far back (Too Close to the FSB).

What are you looking at sanding? The base of the break or the front of the FSB? The only problem I see with sanding the base of the break is the notch to lock it in place would probably have to be enlarged, which isn't too big of a deal..

Your the man Rube!

I can't wait to see the finished product!

-Masta
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:29:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 10:30:10 AM EST by mykrowyre]
The brake does not need to lock up with the FSB. It's ok if it wobbles a little as long as the bullet cannot hit it... look at the opening, it is a lot larger than 5.45. That is probably an IGF us made version of the romanian brake. They are VERY hard to come by these days and expensive. It counts as a US part and is a lot nicer than the crappy Romanian one. The reason it was desired over the 24mm was because this was a post ban weapon which could have a removable brake and threaded barrel since it was 22mm and there were not accessories (read grenade launchers) in that thread size.

Now of course you could go 24mm if you wanted to since the ban has sunset ... but 22mm is the romanian thread size. I installed the 22mm threaded FSB on my SAR2. I tried the adapter but was not satisfied with it.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:10:37 PM EST
The muzzle brake issue has been resolved as of 5 minutes ago The 74 mb fits snug w/o wobble and looks damn good. Took me a good while from a lack of the correct tools, but its done!

I believe we will order another pin as suggested. I will soak over night and degrease for tomorrow.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:31:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:37:25 AM EST
I'm curious, does your state law require the removal of the bayo lugs?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:04:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By nictra:
I'm curious, does your state law require the removal of the bayo lugs?

Nah, it was at his request. It was probably off too, because the threads were tack welded on the fsb. Give it a little more of a custom look too.

thx VA
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:12:23 AM EST
ok, was just curious. I really like the 22mm muzzle break myself. Just gives the rifle a leaner look.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:24:46 AM EST
The pin is on order and i was going to order a new firing pin, but it looks ok The stock did not line up properly w/ the rear trunnion, im going to have to do a little bit of fitting.

The handguards do not fit perfectly, but there is nothing i can do for that. Its still a really great fit and feel

Moly Resin'ed Flat Black

Camera is not up to par, but here it goes

what ya'll think
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:59:39 AM EST
looks great! I would have just shaved the "ears" off the lugs personally, that way the cleaning rod would be held in better than relying on the muzzle break to hold it. Other than that, it's sweet! good job rube!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:41:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By nictra:
looks great! I would have just shaved the "ears" off the lugs personally, that way the cleaning rod would be held in better than relying on the muzzle break to hold it. Other than that, it's sweet! good job rube!

I don't think the owner's planning on keeping the cleaning rod on the rifle, and I don't blame him - a boresnake is ten times the cleaning tool, and easily stored.

Great job Rube! Did the wife complain about the smell when you baked on the finish?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:17:33 PM EST
Thanks ya'll

Mike, i caught hell last night Didnt know if the bitching would ever end. The smell wasnt even that bad

O yeah, thx kar98k for that link!! Nice addition to my favorites

He is ready for Surplus now! This finish will not flake off and will protect against all environments Every mm is covered w/ moly resin!!!

I would like to test fire tomorrow, if thats ok w/ Chad
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:07:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By rube79:
Thanks ya'll

Mike, i caught hell last night Didnt know if the bitching would ever end. The smell wasnt even that bad

O yeah, thx kar98k for that link!! Nice addition to my favorites

He is ready for Surplus now! This finish will not flake off and will protect against all environments Every mm is covered w/ moly resin!!!

I would like to test fire tomorrow, if thats ok w/ Chad

Look great! You are THE MAN!

What is the fit issues caused by? Is it just because of the finish changing tollarences? or is that not the right furnature for the rifle? If it's a furnature issue, Can you suggest me some better furnature!? I would like to stick with black/tactical synthetic furnature. You've made her look beautiful, now lets get her all dressed up and ready for the dance! (The Zombie Dance that is)

.. and of course fire away!

Thanks again bud, You are my Hero!

-Masta

Top Top