Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/2/2007 4:38:58 PM EDT
Any books that you would recommend, specifically for IDing differences from countries/manufacturers?

Anyone have this one?

LINK
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't recommend any specific books, but since AK identification is your objective, here's a link you might find informative and helpful.

AK info

This web site has lots of good AK info too.

AK-47.us
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I can't recommend any specific books, but since AK identification is your objective, here's a link you might find informative and helpful.

AK info

This web site has lots of good AK info too.

AK-47.us

Good stuff.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys.  I really expected more books on this subject considering the AK's availability around the world.

Maybe one of you guys should get busy and write a book on AK's that sets everything straight.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to make two mistakes in one post.  I'm going off topic, and I'm exposing myself to ridicule by endorsing a controversial fellow.  Please enjoy my mistakes.

I had a good time reading "Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting" by Gabe Suarez.  It's not an ID book, but rather a book on how to run your Kalashnikov.  I'd say it was written more with the armed citizen in mind, rather than .mil or LEO's.  I picked up a few good tips, especially when it comes to how to run the AK's switching gear, and I had a good time reading it.  

My only gripe with the book is that it's chocked full of grammatical and spelling errors.  I mean chock full, from beginning to end.  

I know Mr. Suarez has his share of detractors.  I've never taken any of his classes, and I've never met him, so I can't speak to any of that.  However, I did enjoy his book, and I feel like I learned a few good things from it.

Let the bashing begin...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm going to make two mistakes in one post.  I'm going off topic, and I'm exposing myself to ridicule by endorsing a controversial fellow.  Please enjoy my mistakes.

I had a good time reading "Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting" by Gabe Suarez.  It's not an ID book, but rather a book on how to run your Kalashnikov.  I'd say it was written more with the armed citizen in mind, rather than .mil or LEO's.  I picked up a few good tips, especially when it comes to how to run the AK's switching gear, and I had a good time reading it.  

My only gripe with the book is that it's chocked full of grammatical and spelling errors.  I mean chock full, from beginning to end.  

I know Mr. Suarez has his share of detractors.  I've never taken any of his classes, and I've never met him, so I can't speak to any of that.  However, I did enjoy his book, and I feel like I learned a few good things from it.

Let the bashing begin...

I haven't read the book but plan to purchase it. I've met Gabe and have taken one of his courses. I plan to take a few more as well. I found nothing controversial about him. All the students in my class were gun-toting professionals both LEOs and .gov agents. You are right about the grammatical errors. I don't mind some but he has a lot. I guess his editor doesn't use Spellcheck.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard that the book: "Kalashnikov:The Arms and the Man" is a good book.  I've wanted to buy it for some time, anybody second this?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 on the Ezell book (arms and the man).  Want to get it, but don't want to pay what I am seeing right now for it.  The only defect with that book that I can think of is that it is kind of old (last edition was late-80s or early-90s, if I remember right), so a lot of the information that has come out since the Union broke up, especially relating to AK-74s and the AK-100 series, is missing from this book I would guess.  This would probably lead to a few historical and technical statements, and assumptions that have since been proven wrong.  Not sure though; I haven't had a chance to inspect Ezell's book in person yet.  I would be interested in others' opinions of it.

(Edit):  It looks like they have made a new version in 2001, but it is $$$

Chris McNabb (McNab?) also wrote one called "The AK-47."
Pretty good overview book, with lots of in-action pics and color schematics and etc, and is pretty wide-based (covers design, training, combat use, tactics which affected how the AK was used. etc).  He only covers the military side of the house, however.  Don't look for anything in-depth on any thing that is not specific to armies and whatnot.  Also, it is an overview, not a detail-oriented book (mostly, although he does cover basic things like the 3 types of AK-47 recievers), so don't look to find super-detailed parts lists or cleaning operations or anything like that.

My two cents (or two paragraphs)
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I like Gabe's book as well, for its thoughts on how to use the AK.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top