Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/2/2007 3:38:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2007 5:36:50 PM EST by Alacran]
Any books that you would recommend, specifically for IDing differences from countries/manufacturers?

Anyone have this one?

LINK
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 3:41:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2007 3:44:40 PM EST by Tactical_T]
I can't recommend any specific books, but since AK identification is your objective, here's a link you might find informative and helpful.

AK info

This web site has lots of good AK info too.

AK-47.us
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 3:52:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By Tactical_T:
I can't recommend any specific books, but since AK identification is your objective, here's a link you might find informative and helpful.

AK info

This web site has lots of good AK info too.

AK-47.us

Good stuff. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:42:06 AM EST
Thanks, guys. I really expected more books on this subject considering the AK's availability around the world.

Maybe one of you guys should get busy and write a book on AK's that sets everything straight.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:03:34 AM EST
I'm going to make two mistakes in one post. I'm going off topic, and I'm exposing myself to ridicule by endorsing a controversial fellow. Please enjoy my mistakes.

I had a good time reading "Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting" by Gabe Suarez. It's not an ID book, but rather a book on how to run your Kalashnikov. I'd say it was written more with the armed citizen in mind, rather than .mil or LEO's. I picked up a few good tips, especially when it comes to how to run the AK's switching gear, and I had a good time reading it.

My only gripe with the book is that it's chocked full of grammatical and spelling errors. I mean chock full, from beginning to end.

I know Mr. Suarez has his share of detractors. I've never taken any of his classes, and I've never met him, so I can't speak to any of that. However, I did enjoy his book, and I feel like I learned a few good things from it.

Let the bashing begin...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:14:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By DirtyBird:
I'm going to make two mistakes in one post. I'm going off topic, and I'm exposing myself to ridicule by endorsing a controversial fellow. Please enjoy my mistakes.

I had a good time reading "Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting" by Gabe Suarez. It's not an ID book, but rather a book on how to run your Kalashnikov. I'd say it was written more with the armed citizen in mind, rather than .mil or LEO's. I picked up a few good tips, especially when it comes to how to run the AK's switching gear, and I had a good time reading it.

My only gripe with the book is that it's chocked full of grammatical and spelling errors. I mean chock full, from beginning to end.

I know Mr. Suarez has his share of detractors. I've never taken any of his classes, and I've never met him, so I can't speak to any of that. However, I did enjoy his book, and I feel like I learned a few good things from it.

Let the bashing begin...

I haven't read the book but plan to purchase it. I've met Gabe and have taken one of his courses. I plan to take a few more as well. I found nothing controversial about him. All the students in my class were gun-toting professionals both LEOs and .gov agents. You are right about the grammatical errors. I don't mind some but he has a lot. I guess his editor doesn't use Spellcheck.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:03:09 PM EST
I've heard that the book: "Kalashnikov:The Arms and the Man" is a good book. I've wanted to buy it for some time, anybody second this?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:41:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2007 7:43:51 PM EST by duhflushtech]
+1 on the Ezell book (arms and the man). Want to get it, but don't want to pay what I am seeing right now for it. The only defect with that book that I can think of is that it is kind of old (last edition was late-80s or early-90s, if I remember right), so a lot of the information that has come out since the Union broke up, especially relating to AK-74s and the AK-100 series, is missing from this book I would guess. This would probably lead to a few historical and technical statements, and assumptions that have since been proven wrong. Not sure though; I haven't had a chance to inspect Ezell's book in person yet. I would be interested in others' opinions of it.

(Edit): It looks like they have made a new version in 2001, but it is $$$

Chris McNabb (McNab?) also wrote one called "The AK-47."
Pretty good overview book, with lots of in-action pics and color schematics and etc, and is pretty wide-based (covers design, training, combat use, tactics which affected how the AK was used. etc). He only covers the military side of the house, however. Don't look for anything in-depth on any thing that is not specific to armies and whatnot. Also, it is an overview, not a detail-oriented book (mostly, although he does cover basic things like the 3 types of AK-47 recievers), so don't look to find super-detailed parts lists or cleaning operations or anything like that.

My two cents (or two paragraphs)
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:07:34 AM EST
I like Gabe's book as well, for its thoughts on how to use the AK.
Top Top