Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/2/2006 7:08:37 AM EDT
I saw it once before posted, but now I need it again! I have a 84s thats perfect but the stock look like crapola!
I think it has yellow or orange rit dye in it and alcohol??? not sure!
someone help!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Experiment Outcome!!
I tried  RIT dye Golden Yellow and half a pouch of RIT dye Sunshine Orange and strained them through a coffee filter to remove dye's from the salts with alcohol used sparingly ,as to much will weaken the dyes color! , Kind of took a while to strain, I would recommend cheese clothe !
Anyway these two colors mixed are very close to my extra comparison AK, which had great chinese wood on it!
I needed to do this for my 84s, as it was in great shape except the furnisher
quite ashame being I have all the original stuff for my 84s like original box and foam, bayonet,oil bottle ,sling, etc.
You could use a little less Sunshine Orange if you wanted lighter!
I used stripper to remove old varnish then steamed out the dent the best I could!
I sanded these lightly to get them smooth and remove the dents ! and finished once I had my desired tone with Helmsman Gloss coat polyeurothane and let dry good after each of 4 coats!
I just figured I'd share this info with ya'll as I neede it and found my own solution!
Let me know what you think!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice, looks darn close to the original.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Great Job!  Looks very nice!  Looks like the original to me!!

I will be doing a Stain (Black, AR dark) Job on a converted '93 Mak90.

I hope to have some time in a few months.

Functional,
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top