Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/30/2008 4:31:09 PM EDT
I've been weighing options on a B-West AK.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=107737

I do not plan on getting into home building myself.

How much will it cost me to have some one demill this and rebuild on a good receiver?

Any recommendations on who to send it to?

Any legal issues with doing this I should know about?

Thanks

Aaron
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Try RIFLE DYNAMICS

www.rifledynamics.com/index.html

I've heard good things about his work. Don't know what his waiting list is like though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 3:27:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the serial number on the trunnion of the B-West made rifles? (It's been a very looong time.)
If so, the builder may have to file a report of a "destroyed" firearm and should remove the serial number from the trunnion, so you don't end up with a rifle with two serial numbers. The new receiver means it's a new rifle and the builder will have to ship it to a ffl.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:59:48 AM EDT
[#3]
That is precicly where the serial number is.

This gets better and better.

Thanks for the info.

Aaron
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 3:37:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Remember I said the builder MAY have to file a report.
I'm sure the builder will be aware of any issue involving the serial number and would do what ever was required. It wouldn't hurt to ask though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#5]
If i were you i would have someone with heatreating knowledge heatreat the axis pin holes and ejector tip and refinish the receiver.
That 's the easiest and cheapest solution and you will have many years of trouble free shooting.  Think about this .  How often are you gonna be shooting this where you'd be burning up hundreds of rounds at todays ammo prices ? I believe a proper heatreat job would last a very long time.
Does yours have all the preban features, bayo lugs ,threaded muzzle, pistol grip, etc.?
If yes then the parts alone are worth 300.

My 2 centavos
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:18:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes it has all the goodies.

It even has an Under folding SKS type Bayo.

Check out the pix in the linked thread from the first post.

Aaron
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#7]
i wouldn't think it'd be too hard to heat treat the important areas yourself. Just like homebuilders do. Get a scrap piece of simliar steel and play around before you do your rifle.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#8]
You can get a custom serial numbered, heat treated receiver from NoDak Spud to match your trunnion.

You do not have to "demill" the old receiver.

B-West did not use a good grade of steel in their receivers, so heat treating it would not work.

If you are sending the rifle out to be repaired/rebuilt, the person doing it can return it directly to you. As you already own the firearm and will be supplying the replacement receiver, which you already own and have done the paperwork on.

Price quote:
Disassemble, inspect, clean parts from current rifle: $30
Reassemble parts with new receiver: $60
Refinish using Brownells Gunkote to include bead blasting: $60
Test Fire, final cleaning and lube: $25
Shipping to be determined.

I assume you will supply the rivets, a magazine, any compliance parts and the new receiver.

Old receiver will be returned to you for your disposition, Rifle, magazine and any unused parts returned.

I am a FFL and have built many AKs and RPKs and have all the tooling required.

Contact me if you are interested.

If you use a different FFL, he should:
Send you a signed copy of his FFL
You will need to verify the FFL using the BATFE website
Ship the firearm to the address ON THE FFL and no where else.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top