Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 8:07:18 PM EDT
I was just putting some of my ammo on stripper clips for this weekend and noticed something strange. When I shake a cartridge I would sometimes hear a rattle as if something solid ( not the powder.) was moving around.
Out of about 250 rounds, at least 40 would rattle like this.
I have seperated them out, and will see if I can safely find a way to determine what is making the sound.
The ammo in question was Wolf 7.62x39 122g HP. with the old laquer coating.
Has anyone else noticed this?

ktm500
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:09:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:26:36 AM EDT
[#2]
pull the bullets, see if there's anything in the cases
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I do not have a way to safely pull this cartridge apart.
I instead took one of the ones with a noticable rattle and slowly forced tissue paper through the hollow point of the projectile. After I had packed it in, I could no longer get the thing to rattle.

I think that the lead core may be loose from the jacket.

I will try this on another one just to be sure.

If the core is loose from the jacket, I imagine that it would seriously mess up the ballistics.

ktm500
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get a knetic bullet puller and safely pull the bullet and see what the problem was...
Man, you have me curious as can be now...

Y-
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top