Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2002 3:53:11 PM EDT
I don't think that this is that difficult an install so I must be retarded. I have everything in and it looks good. I'm working on filing the safety now, but it sure looks like a LOT of filing is needed. According to the directions I need to be careful, slow, and test after each pass. After about 30 passes I haven't made much progress. I adjusted the trigger before installing the safety, then after I put the safety back in to work towards filing the safety prevents me from cocking the hammer even in the 'fire' position. So, like I said, it seems like a LOT of filing is in order so I want to make sure I haven't screwed something up before I screw something else up. I didn't think MAK90's had a bad rap for QC but what do I know. TIA for any advice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 5:09:07 PM EDT
5555, I have done this on two of my Romanian rifles. One took a little fileing, the other took none. My Bulgarian took none either.

On the other hand, I installed 5 for my dad. Each one took a different amount of fileing. Some took a little, but two of them took forever. I had the same problem. I spent more time fileing than it took to do the rest of the replacement.

What I did was file for a minute, re-install to check it out then file more as needed. It was time consuming, but it worked well and the rifles work perfectly. You are not alone in this.

You have more guts than I do. I took one look at my MAK-90 and saw the "shepards hook" was a long coiled wire wrapped around half of the internal parts ending up doing a few laps around the safety. I didn't even try.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 5:42:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 10:43:44 AM EDT
OK, I think I'm ready for a pat on the back now. After getting my angle grinder (which I know is not recommended) out of storage, I buzzed the safety twice and now it looks like I have a perfect fit. I didn't even have much trouble with the "shepard's hook". It went in just like it came out. Maybe I am not a tardo afterall. Hopefully, I will make it out for a test fire later today. I just wanted to keep you guys updated on my progress. THX big time for all the help and patience.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 1:14:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 2:12:21 PM EDT
Well, it is shooting alot better. But I didn't loctite the screws, so after about 2 1/2 mags I had to let it cool off so I can disassemble and put the screws back where they were supposed to be. Although I have to admit, I like it a lot better now and as soon as I buy some Loctite, I will be good to go.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:03:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 6:16:04 PM EDT
I got to try my RedStar trigger out today an it is awsome ! A hell of a lot better than stock Saiga trigger it replaced.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:43:33 PM EDT
Has anyone staked the threads as RSA recommended? How did that turn out?

There were directions for that here. What happened to them?
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 10:00:16 PM EDT

instead of loctite, i "buggar up" the set screw threads...just a little bit!

no, this don't mean, "smear snot on the threads!".

Damn.......and I been savin' up, too...........
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 10:38:49 AM EDT
Well, i guess I'm back to being a tardo. Where is the place I would go to find red loctite?? Also, has anybody given any thought to using JBWeld in place of loctite. It seems like it might work well, but I thought that surely I'm not the first to think of it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 10:44:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:53:52 AM EDT
Ther is no need to use anything stronger than blue loctite. You can adjust them later if you want to and they will not come loos in the meantime. Pass on the JB Weld and the Red Loctite.
Top Top