Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/23/2003 12:20:44 PM EDT
Ok, decided on the krink, got my '74, got my Saiga-12, no way in hell to get a VAL "Silent Sniper" in 9x39mm, got a bunch of Makarovs, probably going to have to wait on any newer Russian military type pistols if they ever come in, so whats next?

I want an RPK. A '47 is easy enough, $400 NHM-91, clubfoot stock, Chi-com drum (I may still have one or two somewhere in the shop!) and a bipod. No real challenge, easy enough to get. It can wait.

How about an RPK-74? I think I've seen the barrels around, do they realy exist? How hard would it be to have a local hack gunsmith pull the barrel off of a SAR-2 and stick a RPK barrel into the reciever? Do RPK-74s still use the clubfoot? How about drums? THEORETICALY could you frankenstein the top four inches of an AK-74 mag to one of these Romanian '75s floating around? (for educational purposes only of course, not ACTUALLY going to do it). All I've ever seen them with are the 40rnd bakelite mags though in pictures....

What say the mages?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to see anyone's professional opinion on this subject.  I think I decided I need an RPK74.

I was thinking of taking this a step farther.  Getting a VEPR 545 and having all the appropriate stuff added and then having the angle at the back of the receiver welded in take the proper stock.

I know it's expensive, but it almost seems worth it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
www.sovietarmy.com/small_arms/rpk-74.html  

To do it right you would need to use a VEPR RPK receiver, since the barrel would be too much money to just shove into a SAR2.  Everything with the furniture is the same (I think?). There are no drums for the RPK-74 used by the Soviets. Only the 45-round mags and a weird "coffin" mag.  One of these rifles would be way cool. I think Krebs made one or two a while back.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Why do you not do what you have planned Campy? You've got the money, so make it happen!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top