Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2005 6:10:17 PM EST
Ok I was just looking at Beta mags for ARs yesterday and thinking about the chinc 75rd drums I have.
What would you call the button inside the cover of the drum?? I have always heard and read people refer to it as the tension release button, right.

As I thought about it I wondered it is ok to store ammo in a chinc drum with the spring tension applied as if you were going to shoot it 15mins later. I have one loaded right now I sometimes I wonder if I can damage the spring by keeping it loaded for long periods of time, I know the springs for the 30 or 40 round mags are good just left alone. I also know that constant decompression and compression is what wears down a spring.

So it is ok to leave them loaded for prolonged periods of time?

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:15:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 6:17:07 PM EST by Jerret]
Question is why when with a few winds you can have it ready in 15 seconds. I wouldnt leave it under pressure that's just dumb. *I say dumb refering to the possibility of ruining a $100+ drum and it's value is sure to rise.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:24:28 PM EST
Well think of it this way then do the chinese soldiers who carried them leave them unwound and then quickly wind it up or what?? I just want to know what type of duribilty the springs hold up to.

Beta mags claim they can be left loaded for extended periods of time, so I would expect the same of an AK drum if not better.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:43:32 PM EST
I don't think it will hurt it jake .... IMHO

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:51:35 PM EST
I don't think it will hurt, but I only keep a couple of clicks of pressure on mine until I'm ready to use it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:24:42 AM EST
The benefit of owning Chinese Drum mags is that you can have them completely loaded under no spring tension!!!
Unless you are expecting a swat team to come busting through your door any minute, why would you would leave tension on it?? Sounds stupid to me.
Top Top