Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/24/2005 7:10:17 PM EDT
Ok I was just looking at Beta mags for ARs yesterday and thinking about the chinc 75rd drums I have.
What would you call the button inside the cover of the drum?? I have always heard and read people refer to it as the tension release button, right.

As I thought about it I wondered it is ok to store ammo in a chinc drum with the spring tension applied as if you were going to shoot it 15mins later. I have one loaded right now I sometimes I wonder if I can damage the spring by keeping it loaded for long periods of time, I know the springs for the 30 or 40 round mags are good just left alone. I also know that constant decompression and compression is what wears down a spring.

So it is ok to leave them loaded for prolonged periods of time?

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Question is why when with a few winds you can have it ready in 15 seconds. I wouldnt leave it under pressure that's just dumb. *I say dumb refering to the possibility of ruining a $100+ drum and it's value is sure to rise.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Well think of it this way then do the chinese soldiers who carried them leave them unwound and then quickly wind it up or what?? I just want to know what type of duribilty the springs hold up to.

Beta mags claim they can be left loaded for extended periods of time, so I would expect the same of an AK drum if not better.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think it will hurt it jake .... IMHO

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think it will hurt, but I only keep a couple of clicks of pressure on mine until I'm ready to use it.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 7:24:42 AM EDT
[#5]
The benefit of owning Chinese Drum mags is that you can have them completely loaded under no spring tension!!!
Unless you are expecting a swat team to come busting through your door any minute, why would you would leave tension on it?? Sounds stupid to me.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top