Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/2/2007 10:13:25 AM EDT
I just blasted both of the rifles I built after test firing. We're going shooting next week and I want to bring them along...

If I duracoat them now, will they be "dry" enough to use, or will it mess up? I'd rather leave them bare and just reblast them after the shooting trip instead of wasting precious duracoat.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 10:52:09 AM EDT
If you heat cure them(put them in the oven for 180 degrees for 30-60 minutes), you should be okay. You can also leave them in a car that's been sitting out in the sun for a few hours. The finish does seem to get tougher with age, so it probably won't be 100%; however, you can always touch up the paint later(one of Duracoat's best selling points).
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 10:55:16 AM EDT
Cool! I'll give that a shot. Wife will probably kill me, I meant to use the oven when she was gone but went shooting instead, lol.

I'll try the car trick this weekend!
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 2:05:01 PM EDT
Seven Days at room temp. You can try to "heat cure" this stuff if you like - just let us know how that works out for you :)

To it's credit - DuraKoat gets very hard after about seven days at room temp. But having tried to rush the process with heat? I'm less than impresed with any attempts at accelerated curing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 3:12:40 PM EDT
If you're gonna bake it anyway, why not just use KG GunKote. It's ready in about an hour.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:45:53 AM EDT
or use the catalyst that was designed to go with the Sherwin Williams Polane coatings and which Lauer leaves out when they relable it and mark it up 1000% full cure in 24 hours.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 6:19:16 PM EDT
If you use the oven at 180 degrees to cure the Duracoat, it won't produce much of a residual odor. My wife actually doesn't mind the odor from Duracoat. With Gunkote curing at 300 degrees in the oven, it's a completely different story. I'm just glad that I'm bigger than she is(so I can absorb the shock of her beating on me a little easier)
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 12:16:28 PM EDT
GP, tell us more. I like the DuraCoat but not the price.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:42:37 AM EDT
Quick update = I went ahead and coated the 74 and took it out last Thursday. I did about two coats, one mon and one tues. Thurs I fired approx 300 rounds thru it, some bumping. Other than nicks from assembly, the finish appears fully cured and quite hard after firing :)

Still going to have to touch up the nicks and let it set until next "open range" trip.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:44:46 PM EDT
If you are having a summer like we are here leaving them in your garage a few nights should suffice. I oven cured my first and then the last one I did a week ago I just let it sit out in the garage (temps reached over 100 each day inside the garage) and have been testing to see if I can rub it off. Thus far no luck, I'm convinced it is cured. Just be sure to apply it with the metal good and clean (I prefer carb or brake cleaner). Good luck!

Top Top