Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2013 3:27:33 AM EST
So, on my last trip to Kyrgyzstan (returning from RC South), I spied a HUGE trunk full of ex-Soviet coins!! I looked and looked, and finally found a nice sharp one from '86, the year I was born... I then realized that my Romy back home was also born in '86, and I sprung this grand idea; use this coin and inlay it into the foregrip!! After all, I contoured and refinished the Romy donkey dick anyway, so why not cut it up again in the interest of awesomeness!? :D

Then I got to thinking: Which side would look better, the CCCP with crest, or the denomination with date!? Couldn't decide, so I got one for each side. :)

But thinking it over left me with some questions:

1. What should I use to finish over the coins and wood? A fiberglass resin, or a polyurethane resin? Maybe just a clear-coat of poly wood sealant? Some shellac, caviar, and Babushka Olga's toenails for authenticity? It has a wire folder, so I'm not concerned with matching the finish; the gas tube piece can be redone too if push comes to shove...

2. Will the coins continue to oxidize (copper/bronze type material) under said coating? Should I polish them with an acid or something? Is there something someone would recommend to keep the material from oxidizing under a sealant? I'd really hate to have to pop them out in a year/five/ten/twenty just to redo this...

Thanks,
- CK
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:42:47 AM EST

mirror coat

No, I don't think your coins will oxidize under this finish as it would be sealed from the atmosphere. I'd use a two part structural epoxy.

T-88 epoxy
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:21:27 AM EST
Anything a bit less fancy? My Romy was a budget build; She was screwed together, bent with the poor man's jig, rails were tack-welded in, receiver was finished with cold blue and flat black spraypaint. The woodwork was done with some medium walnut stain I had kicking around from my drum set refinishing and some polyurethane sealant from some other project back a billion years ago. Dipping some 40-dollar mirror finish stuff might look, shall we say, out of place... ;)

Thanks, though! If push comes to shove, I'll just order some of this stuff... :)

- CK
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:25:32 AM EST
Another option is to just do what people have done with inlays in rifles for hundreds of years:
Leave them uncoated and when they start to dull, just use a little metal polish or a jeweler's polish cloth to shine them back up.

This eliminates the entire problem of having to try to strip off a coating after it wears and the coins start to tarnish anyway.

A jeweler's polish cloth is a double sided cloth. One side is impregnated with red rouge, the other is used to wipe it clean and shiny.
You can buy them online.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:02:54 AM EST
Or, let the coppery metal take a patina over the years to match the military function (low gloss) of the rifle. I guess you're going to use a Forstner bit of the right diameter to recess the coins? Hope you get a match. Kind of hard to do without one. Here's a tip: coat the raw wood surfaces with Super Glue right before applying the coins. Let it soak in and set for a few minutes, then mix clear epoxy and set the coins. The epoxy will give you a few minutes to get the coins oriented like you want them.
With normal handling of the gun, you'll find that the coins never really get black or green, just a dull brown patina with shiny highlights.
Top Top