Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/3/2005 4:58:38 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I Just got my first AK, Vector Arms V47 (fixed stock). It was bought used off of the EE and I just picked it up on Monday.

Problem\issue #1… When I first got it, I checked the chamber, charged the weapon and dry fired it. Even thing was cool except the trigger didn’t reset. When I opened it up, this is what I saw…

I tried looking around the web for a exploded parts diagram of the AK trigger group but had no luck but it didn’t take too long to figure out that the spring leg on the right needed to go over the right rear ear of the trigger. After doing that the trigger worked as expected.

The weird thing is why did it come off to start with? Is this a common issue and if so, is there a fix?

Problem\issue #2 is, on the left side of the receiver, there is what appears to be a wire spring but as it is, it does not appear to serve any purpose? Is this a broken part, a piece of extra junk that somehow got logged in there or what? (Again, and exploded view of the trigger group would greatly help if any of you have one? )

Problem\issue 3#

The front sight post is clearly shifted over to the right side. If you look at the picture, you can see that the pin(?) that the FSP screws into is not centered in the FSB because the witness marks do not line up. Can this be adjusted and if so, how? The previous owner said he just used the windage adjustment on the rear sight to sight in the rifle. I would like to get this straightened out if possible? I am somewhat concerned that the FSB may be canted?

As stated, this is my first AK and I admit, I don't know much about them so any and all info you guys can share about these issues will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:06:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 5:09:36 AM EDT by Jeepcreep]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:33:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Jeepcreep:
nothing you have listed is an "issue: IMHO, just quirks for the gun. Just take it out and shoot it, you will soon look past all those quirks!

As I stated, this is my first AK and don't know a lot about them. Maybe "concerns" would have been a better term but the point of my post was to learn whether these are real issues or not? Also, it's not in my nature to "look past quirks", I would rather fix them when needed\appropriate.

#1 I have never heard of that happening, if it does it again just replace the spring, no biggie.

Cool

#2 That piece of "junk", is called the shepard crook. It is used to hold inthe FCG pins. PLace close attention to how it is wrapped around, and snaked thru. This usuallu causes the most agrivation for neophites.

It didn't look like it was doing anything to me but I'm glad to read that it is. I guess I will have to take a better look at it when I get home.

#3 Although it isn't centered, it isn't bad either. It might also be cocked due to the prior owners shooting style. You can either buy a sight adjustment tool (about $10 from Tapco iirc) or you can get a C Clamp, and 1 socket smaller, and one larger than the pin and drift them that way.

Cool, thanks for the tip and info. Can you recommend any web sites\books with good exploded views\parts diagrams?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:41:53 AM EDT
Problem # 1 - previous owner may have the trigger group out at some point, or it may have been missed when the assembler was putting the domestic fire control group in when the rifle was put together. Its easy to miss putting that spring leg on - you have to turn the hammer sideways with the spring attached to get it past the bolt rails in the receiver.

Problem # 2 - ditto what Jeep said. Some people don't like the spring type retainer and will replace it with 2 retaining rings. I've got a stack of 2,000 Tru-Arc retaining rings on my desk at work. If you want to replace send me an IM for my address, you can send me a SASE and I will send you a stack of these Tru-Arc Rings.

Problem # 3 - try shooting it. Previous owner's facial structure or method of shouldering the rifle may have caused him to have to move the sight over some. I've seen several AK's that were farther over than that from the factory (and lined up with a witness mark).

Enjoy your AK. Take a shot at pulling the trigger group out and putting it back in. Its not easy the first few times, but is good practice. Its a little disappointment that the trigger group is not as easy to take apart as the rest of the gun .

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:00:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 6:05:00 AM EDT by dalesimpson]
Here is a website with with lots of tutorials. It is a pretty good resource.

Tutorials etc
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:28:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:30:30 AM EDT
Another possible reason for the spring off the trigger leg, is, sometimes when the safety is installed it will drag the spring off that side. It's just something you need to check as part of the re-assembly/pre firing inspection.

Pay no attention to anything the previous owner said. He clearly is not very familiar with the rifle. He probably sold it because he couldn't figure out the spring/trigger problem, which you did figure out. You may be new to AK rifles, but you are WAY ahead of him.

"he just used the windage adjustment on the rear sight to sight in the rifle. "
There IS NO windage adjustment on the rear sight of an AK47.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:15:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lancew:
Problem # 2 - ditto what Jeep said. Some people don't like the spring type retainer and will replace it with 2 retaining rings. I've got a stack of 2,000 Tru-Arc retaining rings on my desk at work. If you want to replace send me an IM for my address, you can send me a SASE and I will send you a stack of these Tru-Arc Rings.

Thank you for the kind offer. I will probably take you up on it!

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:
Here is a website with with lots of tutorials. It is a pretty good resource.

Tutorials etc

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Originally Posted By RS39:
Just be sure the hook wire is in the groove for the fcg pins, instead of just on the pins, or the pins will work out, fcg turns 45deg against the spring, and everything stops at the range. Real fun at a plate shoot when I missed this "Hey aren't you an AK Mod?"

LOL - Thanks for the heads up!

Really, thanks to all of you. Together you all answered all of my questions and got me pointed down the right road!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:05:54 PM EDT
somebody has been shooting alot of russian ammo!!

nothing is wrong dude......just adjust your front sight if you need to

the rifle looks pretty good though!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:00:13 PM EDT
I noticed the same three things on a Vector underfolder I bought awhile back. The spring on the hammer came off when I was messing around with it after disassembly. I just pressed the spring back in place and it has worked well since then.

I noticed that peice of wire as well and figured it had some purpose.

Same with the front sght. I even ordered a front sight windage adjustment tool. But I shot the rifle before I adjusted the front site and it was dead on at approximately 100 meters so I just left it alone.

SM
Top Top