Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2002 6:44:02 PM EST
CAMPYBOB,

We've not corresponded directly, but I have read many of your your posts with enthusiasm, and was hoping your could share a bit of your knowledge with me.

I have an SAR-1 that could use a new/better trigger.

While I am fairly well versed on trigger topics related to the AR/M16 family. I know little about this when it comes to the AK.

I am looking for a smooth trigger, with no slap, that is durable and reliable enough to go on a "bet you life on it" weapon. For these reasons I am wary of set screws and other gizmos that might unravel or otherwise fail.

This particular AK will be a shooter but will also live in the trunk/cabin.

What would you recommend in the FCG department?

Thank you in advance for you assistance.

Best regards,

JAW
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:50:09 PM EST
Gee, what would Campy say when asked this question?

He has us all well trained here...

RED STAR ARMS hoorah!

redstararms.com/ak.html

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:07:44 PM EST
DavidC,

Thank you for the response and the link.

I note that the RSA FCG group features an allen screw. I am concerned about the impact of the FCG's adjustable-ness on reliability.

Does anyone have any experiences with this type of FCG becoming unreliable after prolonged use?

Thanks again,

JAW
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:58:44 PM EST
The allen screw is easily staked once set, or loctited into place. In my experience this is not necessary as the fit is quite tight and they take a good but of force to budge, this is by far the best AK trigger on the market and equals or exceeds anything in the AR world. IMHO there is not a better choice available anywhere and installation could not be easier.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:06:28 PM EST

this [Red Star Arms trigger] is by far the best AK trigger on the market and equals or exceeds anything in the AR world.

Yes, and it's also $80! A friend of mine has a Maadi that he wants to convert to a pistol grip, so he needs to change-out five parts. I looked at that trigger group, but it's over half of the price he paid for the entire rifle. Ouch!

JAW, Tapco (www.tapco.com) has two different fire-control groups for sale. One is the Gordon Tech with a double-hook trigger for $40. The other is a single-hook trigger made by FSE also for $40. You might want to consider one of those two if price is a consideration. Does anyone have an opinion on which of those two is the better choice? I'm going to buy one of them next week.z
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:50:14 PM EST
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the replies and information.

I have a Gordon Technologies AK that features their double hook trigger. It is a good trigger, but it is what came included.

For my SAR-1, I have the opportunity to do some research and pick.

While $80 is expensive in the AK-realm, it is cheap for a quality trigger set for most rifles.

Thanks for the help!

JAW
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:32:46 AM EST
Well - - -Campy has forgot more about AKs that I could ever learn, but here's my 2 cents:

I have a Red Star in one of my SAR-1s. This FCG screams "quality" ! Crisp two stage pull. After about a 1000 rounds or so, never any problems.

Have a Gordon FCG in a pre-ban Maadi. If rifle is not designed for a "double hook", you will either have to remove one "hook", or open-up the trigger window so the other hook will have clearance. This is a straight "single stage" pull, with almost no take-up whatsoever. Trigger pull is 4 pounds. This is a great product if you want a very nice single stage trigger pull in your AK.

Hope this helps, and now --- where is that CampyBob ?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:37:59 AM EST
I'm currently running the RSA, the FSE and the Gordon Tech in some of my AKs.

The FSE is the worst trigger of the three. It is also the roughest casting and finish. I also run an FSE hammer and sear in my MAK-90 with the original Chinese trigger and it's very smooth.

The Gordon Tech has a good trigger feel and smooth pull. It seems better made than the FSE IMO. I have a Gordon Tech in my Bulgy and it's on par with Original equipment.

The RSA unit is in my Romak-3. It is by far the best trigger out there. The quality of manufacture is superior as well. I consider the RSA to be the best trigger out there. As for the adjustment screws, I can't budge mine easily without bending a hex wrench. I can't see them moving during use. I consider the RSA unit to actually be more reliable, as I've worn out cast US triggers. The RSA unit is simply higher quality. As such it is LESS prone to problems caused by wear or out-of-spec dimensions.

I can understand the balking of some folks at $80. I run the cheaper units in some of mine because I couldn't afford the better RSA unit at the time. I'll eventually get aroudn to replacing all of them with RSA units, but that will take some time.

I recommend the RSA unit.

Ross
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:54:48 AM EST
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the additional information.

Happy New Year!

JAW
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:55:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:58:35 PM EST
CAMPYBOB,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Given that I already have a Gordon Tech trigger, I am going to give the RSA product a whirl. Variety being the spice of life and all that.

Best regards,

JAW
Top Top