Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/19/2002 5:32:34 PM EDT
Tonight I started on removing the rivets from the barrel trunnion. I removed as much rivet material as possible, what's left between the barrel and trunnion can be slid to one side leaving the rivet hole clear.

Question is, is there enough room between the trunnion and barrel to insert a tap far enough to cut the correct depth threads before hitting the barrel?

The way it looks to me is there is not enough room. It is possible to cut the threads with out removing the barrel?
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 3:56:49 AM EDT
[#1]
QUIB, There are taps made for just that purpose. We used to call them "bottoming taps" which I'm sure isn't the right term. They will cut threads all the way to the bottom of a hole. When I did my rifle I took a standard tap and started each of the four trunnion holes. Once I had them started I ground off end of the tap until it was down the cutting threads. (I was too anxious to order the right tap and wait for it to come in.) Then I lubed the holes and carefully cut the threads all the way to the bottom. It worked fine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Railhead, thanks! I was telling my wife the same thing about maybe grinding the tap down. Sounds like a good idea! By the way, what size taps and screws did you end up using?

Thanks again! With the help of you guys here I should end up with a nice looking rifle!

Quib
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 6:30:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys! I did manage to get the remains of the rivets out from between the barrel and trunnion. I took my 3/32 pin punch, ground the tip down to a chisel point, and cut up the rivet head into sections. Then magnetized my scribe to pick out the pieces.

I'm taking pics at each phase of the project. This is going to be fun! With your help should turn out great!
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top