Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/16/2005 7:17:45 PM EDT
What is the deal with the disclaimer and copy of the letter on InterOrdnance's website? Explain this quote to me..........

ACCORDING TO AN OPINION OF BATF, BARRELS ARE FOR REPAIR AND REPLACEMENT ONLY. BARRELS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BUILD 922(r) COMPLIANT GUNS.

I'm confused
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:58:04 AM EDT
This means that barrels will no longer be allowed to be imported with the parts kits. Which will make obtaining american made barrels cost prohibitive for the average builder.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:05:51 AM EDT
It says "barrels are not permitted to BUILD 922r compliant guns" How are all these builders getting around that?? The letter issued by the BATFE says the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:37:44 PM EDT
Did I miss a letter? The recent open letters say:

Importers are reminded that ATF previously approved permits for non-importable barrels and receivers for repair or replacement only, and this restriction was stamped on the face of the permit. Importers who import such components for any purpose other than repair or replacement of existing firearms, e.g., for assembly into new firearms, will be exceeding the scope of the import authorization in violation of law. If ATF determines, through inspection or otherwise, that an importer willfully violates the import provisions of the GCA, the importer's license is subject to revocation pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 923(e).

Note that 922r is not mentioned anywhere in the letters, and the only threat is to revoke importer licenses if import provisions of the GCA are violated.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:48:54 PM EDT
that statement has been on their site for years. It has nothing to do with the current barrel ban.
What it is basically is a statement that they were imported under those restrictions, which are supposed to be applicable to professional gunsmiths.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:12:38 PM EDT
ACTUAL IMPORT LICENSE
Not trying to start a pissing contest here guys, I am a dealer and don't want to get in trouble for building a few guns for myself.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:18:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrKrink:
ACTUAL IMPORT LICENSE
Not trying to start a pissing contest here guys, I am a dealer and don't want to get in trouble for building a few guns for myself.

Understood. We all have to be careful, and dealers have to be especially careful.

If you search the boards, there are letters from the ATF confirming the legality of rifles built from demilled imported parts, as long as compliance with the 922r parts count rule is maintained. I don’t have links handy, or I would post them.

The way I see it, the intent of this whole issue is to regulate importation, not firearms. If "they" were truly concerned about kits being built into rifles, they would have immediately shut off the supply and tried to recall the kits (especially from the commercial builders). I would have thought that they would have also issued guidance to FFLs regarding purchase, transfer or sale of rifles made from kits.

My recollection is that this law was originally passed in 1989 when the market was being flooded with cheap Chinese AKs and SKSs. I think this is about the business challenge that cheap imported firearms (or firearms kits) create for domestic firearms manufacturers. Importation of kits has been quietly going on for years with no problem. It only recently became a problem when the volume ramped up and we started seeing full page adds in Shotgun News, etc.

Also (and someone speak up if I am wrong) no one has ever been prosecuted for building a semiauto AK from imported parts (with or without the correct part count).
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:34:09 AM EDT
OK......sounds better. I would like to see that ATF letter you refer to if you could find it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:38:14 PM EDT

ACTUAL IMPORT LICENSE

That barrel stuff is strictly an importer thing. I wrote the BATF for clarification on this (and some other) points which you can read here. In particular see page two, answer three. Hope that helps.

Sudboy
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:26:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sudboy:

ACTUAL IMPORT LICENSE

That barrel stuff is strictly an importer thing. I wrote the BATF for clarification on this (and some other) points which you can read here. In particular see page two, answer three. Hope that helps.

Sudboy

THANKS YOU!! I really appreciate that..................that was what I was looking for!!!
CASE CLOSED, for me............................anyway.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:41:27 AM EDT
If you build it with enough US parts, the kit gun is not subject to 922, and is therefore not built to be 922 compliant... it's just as American as a Remington. Only when you don't have the magical number of required parts does 922 have any jurisdiction over a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:55:14 AM EDT
Sudboy - Excellent, excellent post!!!! Your copy of the letter to BATF with your questions and their answers was very helpful. Thanks for taking the time and putting forth the effort to help clear things up.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:12:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DDiggler:
If you build it with enough US parts, the kit gun is not subject to 922, and is therefore not built to be 922 compliant... it's just as American as a Remington. Only when you don't have the magical number of required parts does 922 have any jurisdiction over a rifle.

That makes sense to me. The purpose of installing domestic parts is to make the gun 922r exempt (as opposed to compliant).
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:56:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By c133jim:
Sudboy - Excellent, excellent post!!!! Your copy of the letter to BATF with your questions and their answers was very helpful. Thanks for taking the time and putting forth the effort to help clear things up.

+100000
Top Top