Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 6:28:29 PM EDT
Ok here's the deal.  I bought an AK-100 stock with all hardware that should be here in a couple of weeks.  I asked before but didn't get a real definitive answer.  If I have InRange install the stock, will I be able to simply remove the hinge retaining pin and replace the solid side folder with a triangle folder?  I don't believe so because they are different size pin holes.  So here's another question.  Which of the two has the larger pin hole?  I'm hoping it's the AK-100 stock, so I can simply get a Triangle folder only (no other parts), drill out the hinge holes to match the AK-100 stock, and then swap them out whenever I please.  How hard is it to remove the pin that goes through the hinge on the stock?  Simple punch and hammer?  I'd like to get both stocks and then switch from AK-74M to AKS-74 variation every once and a while to keep things interesting.  Thanks for any help guys!

CMS
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#1]
i think the ak100 poly stock has the bigger 5.5mm pin, the triangle is 4.5mm i think. you would weaken the pin area if you drill it out. i wouldn't unless it has the same amount of metal as 5.5mm pin around pin hole when done.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got done doing that a couple of days ago. It was a bit of work and not for the mechanically "faint of heart". The old stock is a 4.5mm dia and the new hinge uses a 5.5mm dia pin. AND, the distance from the lower hinge to the upper hinge on the trunion is skinnier (smaller, less) than the corresponding section of hinge on the stock itself by about 1mm apx. Therefore you have to do TWO things. You have to open up the top hinge hole on the trunnion to 5.5mm while making SURE it stays concentric with the bottom hole. All that while it's assembled/riveted to the gun I assume? I left the bottom hole the original size and custom made the hinge pin from 1/4" drill rod on my lathe and then hardened and tempered it. Then you have to either thin the hinge section of the new stock or open up the space on the trunnion. I chose to thin the stock since I'll never swap this out. Now when that's ALL DONE, and you mount the new stock, hope and pray the two latches will line up when folded because the rear angle on the receiver/trunnion from old to new changed by about 3º. I got lucky! In my case the whole job turned out more or less perfect but I can picture it NOT under the right (or wrong) circumstances.

Bottom line, it's not a drop in swap type deal. No sirree!  My conversion...........

UDACHI Drug!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The Russians make a modern Triangle folder with 5.5 pin, should you can just buy one and switch out whenever.. Should be able to get one from Rusmilitary, Andrei in Russia, etc.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top