Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/18/2005 4:33:54 PM EDT
I want to sell some of my guns on gunbroker and have a simple question. All I have to do before I send the gun to the FFL dealer is wait for the ink signed copy from the buyer, right? And do I have to indicate on the box that it is a firearms?? I don't want to do anything wrong and get in trouble for it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't write that on the box, you are just begging for it to get stolen.  You don't have to write anything like that on the box.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually faxed copies of FFLs are now legal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#3]
are you an FFL?  if not then you don't need a copy of their FFL, it's good for record keeping though.

i ask for the FFL's address, phone # and their license number.  i check the ATF's website and verify the information, then i call the FFL himself to let them know i'm shipping them a gun and ask if they have any specific instructions (sometimes they'll ask for a copy of my driver's license or other info).  then i ship via Priority mail and insure it for more than it's value.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#4]
when dealing with the USPS, print up pub 52 from their website, highlight the area that says it's legal to ship a long gun as long as rules set by the ATF are followed (meaning has to be shipped to an FFL if across state lines).  Most likely when they ask you what you're shipping, tell them it's a long gun, a lot of the times they'll give you crap an lies saying you can't ship it, show them their own documents, and ask to get a postal inspector if they still refuse.  there's nothing they can do to stop you from shipping a long gun, other than inspect it.  USPS is the best way to go in shipping a long gun, UPS and everyone else requires you be an FFL, USPS doesn't.

-mark
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the information. Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm not an FFL. And one more question; if it's not across state lines, I don't need to ship to an FFL?? I can just ship it to the buyer's door??
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#6]
 "UPS and everyone else requires you be an FFL..."  

Now that is just plain wrong.  

UPS ships long guns from non-licensed people every day.  Fed Ex,too.  Handguns must go next day, but you can still ship one.  NO hanguns via the post office unless you are an FFL (C&R doesn't count.)

DO NOT put anything on the outside indicating a firearm is inside.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I just ran across this problem tonight: I shipped a guy two rifles. He wants to return one. He says he has to ship it to a FFL (which I am not), now I have to pay my FFL to transfer the rifle back to me. I  had no idea a returned rifle of mine would have to go through a FFL. Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 "UPS and everyone else requires you be an FFL..."  

Now that is just plain wrong.  

UPS ships long guns from non-licensed people every day.  Fed Ex,too.  Handguns must go next day, but you can still ship one.  NO hanguns via the post office unless you are an FFL (C&R doesn't count.)

DO NOT put anything on the outside indicating a firearm is inside.

+1

I always use Fedex ground for long gun and nextday air for handgun... and yes I'm not FFL dealer.  Who says FFL can only ship gun via UPS or Fedex.... that's just plain wrong.
Also, it's good to keep FFL copy in case they ask to show.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:09:38 AM EDT
[#10]
"..... now I have to pay my FFL to transfer the rifle back to me. I had no idea a returned rifle of mine would have to go through a FFL. Lesson learned."

Good point.  Refunds generally are what the buyer paid less shipping and fees.  If you described the gun in good faith and accurately, there's no reason you should hve to pay the return FFL fee.  But that's something that must be understood up front.  I'd offer to split your FFL's fees with the "buyer."
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:41:46 AM EDT
[#11]
If I'm not shipping a gun across state lines, do I still have to ship it to an FFL dealer?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess you're right, I got my information from ups.com, so that's where I was making that judgement, but I misread their rules, and was told by my FFL to not use UPS, they can be a PITA.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:38:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I AM an FFL. One time when I went to ship a rifle UPS would not ship it because I didn't have a copy of my FFL with me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:39:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If I'm not shipping a gun across state lines, do I still have to ship it to an FFL dealer?

If it's a handgun you're shipping - yes, it has to go to an FFL. If a long gun - no, you can send it directly to the buyer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I AM an FFL. One time when I went to ship a rifle UPS would not ship it because I didn't have a copy of my FFL with me.

Yup, they’re just afraid that you might ship it to private address.
I always have the FFL copy ready and sometime the clerk checks the address with box to make sure the package is going directly to FFL not individual.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#16]
You can't just disassemble a handgun then ship it UPS ground.  Read their rules...there's language about "readily assembled into a complete firearm."  You CAN ship the frame seperately from the rest which will do the trick with a semi but not a revolver.

An FFL could care less how you got the weapon to him...he's not the one breaking the rules.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#17]
 Make sure that you give the FFL the buyers name and phone # and a GOOD QUALITY enlarged photocopy of your DL and maybe any state issued firearms certificates that you hold ie. purchace card, concieled carry card. This just makes life easier for the FFL in identifying you in his books and contacting the buyer when his purchace arrives.

Nothing more infuriating than when a gun shows up at the store with NO info with it and I have to just wait for the purchaser to show up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
when dealing with the USPS, print up pub 52 from their website, highlight the area that says it's legal to ship a long gun as long as rules set by the ATF are followed (meaning has to be shipped to an FFL if across state lines).  Most likely when they ask you what you're shipping, tell them it's a long gun, a lot of the times they'll give you crap an lies saying you can't ship it, show them their own documents, and ask to get a postal inspector if they still refuse.  there's nothing they can do to stop you from shipping a long gun, other than inspect it.  USPS is the best way to go in shipping a long gun, UPS and everyone else requires you be an FFL, USPS doesn't.

-mark

I just got back from shipping a handgun via UPS, and I'm not an FFL.  You don't have to be an FFL to ship UPS or FedEx, I've shipped through both.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top