Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2006 5:26:38 PM EDT
I recently bought a wasr-10 for plinking. Bought it new from a gun store. Every third to fourth round it fails to feed. The bolt will cycle back just fine but it seems like the fresh round is getting jammed before feeding into the chamber. The rounds keep punching up against the barrel and not feeding in. Any suggestions as to what I can or should do to fix this problem? I bought the AK because every one was telling me how they never jam. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2006 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you using FMJ or Hollow Point Ammo ?

Does it jam with only that 1 mag or all mags ?

When the mag is fitted into the gun, is there any play front to back or side to side ?
Link Posted: 9/17/2006 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Gun jams with every mag I have used. I have only shot HP through it so far. I have not bought any FMJ yet because there hasnt been any in my area till recently. HP rounds are not that much different from the FMJ rounds though.The mags fit really tight in the gun. No play at all
Link Posted: 9/17/2006 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok.....try some FMJs and do let us know.

I have a Maadi AKM/ARM, and it would only eat FMJs also.
Link Posted: 9/18/2006 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Same thing in my case, new WASR-10, jamming up on third or fourth round, I was also using hollow points because the fmj were out around here. When I switched to fmj, problem went away. Cycles and fires great using fmj.
Link Posted: 9/18/2006 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Solution for HP's is to break the angle on the feed ramp and barrel. You can do this with a file, dremmel tool, or even sandpaper.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2006 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Solution for HP's is to break the angle on the feed ramp and barrel. You can do this with a file, dremmel tool, or even sandpaper.  

Hey Drobs, care to elaborate on this a little bit? I would love to see some pics/instructions on how to do this, as my WASR has always had FTF problems with hollowpoints. It always functions flawlessly with other ammo, it's just the hollowpoints it rejects outright. If I take a FMJ round and flatten the tip like a hollowpoint, it jams too...I've been thinking about beveling the lower part of the chamber, but have been afraid it would permanantly damage the rifle. Any more help would be sincerely appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/21/2006 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey Drobs, care to elaborate on this a little bit? I would love to see some pics/instructions on how to do this, as my WASR has always had FTF problems with hollowpoints. It always functions flawlessly with other ammo, it's just the hollowpoints it rejects outright. If I take a FMJ round and flatten the tip like a hollowpoint, it jams too...I've been thinking about beveling the lower part of the chamber, but have been afraid it would permanantly damage the rifle. Any more help would be sincerely appreciated.

Figure out where the nose of the bullet is impacting the feed ramp and file/grind it away until you create a ramp that will allow the bullet to glide up into the chamber versus the 'wall' they are striking as it is now.

ETA:  Changing the contour of the barrel at the base of the chamber is an option, but should be approached very carefully -- removal of too much material could leave the case wall unsupported and lead to a catastrophic failure.  Messing with the chrome-lining probably isn't advisable, either.  Since FMJ works, just use it if at all possible.
Link Posted: 9/25/2006 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#8]
went and bought some FMJ and now the gun cycles like a champ. Think I might try to work the feed ramp a bit though like boltmaster says.
Link Posted: 9/28/2006 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
went and bought some FMJ and now the gun cycles like a champ. Think I might try to work the feed ramp a bit though like boltmaster says.

If the FMJ works, I would recommend sticking with it versus doing any grinding.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2006 2:15:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I never heard of an AK type rifle jamming.
Link Posted: 10/9/2006 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I never heard of an AK type rifle jamming.

Sure it's not an AR that somebody tried to convert to an AK?  
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#12]
My Romanian kit build does the same thing with HP.  The tip gets stuck on the chamber edge.  I just shoot FMJ.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:

so the above claim whereyou said there really isnt much a difference between HP and FMJ, is COMPLETELY FALSE.. i am glad you see this now. have fun with your ak
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#14]
make sure you are pulling th trigger hard and good enough. if its american made trigger then possibly why it might be jamming. thats what i figured out
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 2:54:52 AM EDT
[#15]
send it back to the manufacture have there armor fix it.   I bought a WSAR10 and had a feeding problem about 1 or 2 of every 20 rounds would jam sent it in and came back and dont have any problems anymore bump fires very well.   Give Centuary arms a call tell them what problem you have and they will give you another number to call there service center.    Shipped it via UPS and got it back in less then a week and it worked flawless.

Link Posted: 10/24/2006 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#16]
My AK in 223 cal. would jam the rounds that fed from the right side of the mag - I used my dremmel tool to bevel the breech where the rounds were hanging up, and that was the end of that!  It's not like I beveled a big chunk, I just enlarged the slight bevel that was already there, and only enough to make the problem go away.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I would RMA it.  I have a WASR10 and it will fire whatever i feed it, never jammed once.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
send it back to the manufacture have there armor fix it.   I bought a WSAR10 and had a feeding problem about 1 or 2 of every 20 rounds would jam sent it in and came back and dont have any problems anymore bump fires very well.   Give Centuary arms a call tell them what problem you have and they will give you another number to call there service center.    Shipped it via UPS and got it back in less then a week and it worked flawless.

+1
This is bullshit. No AK should jam on HP or any ammo for that matter, in this case it is assembly that is at fault. Century arms should fix it, its not your fault nor should it be your problem. Either the feed ramp is too shallow or the magazine is in place wrong, either way it can be fixed. I have a sar 1 and i feed it HP all the time with no jams so this should not jam at all. take it back. Of course the problem is really "small" since it DOES work and only jams once in a while the feed ramp is proably just a "tiny" bit to shallow for reliable feeding.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a WASR-10 and it fires HPs with no problems, with this in mind though.....

The guy that had it before me said it did not shoot HP's well.  So anyway I get it home and the 1st thing I noticed is the magazines are not fitting into the well very good.  I looked at it for about 3 seconds and saw how uneven the back of the mag well was so I did the mag well 'improvement' www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/wasrwell.htm    Now the mags just slapped right in there, suprisingly with very little side to side play...

I never shot it until after I did the improvement.........
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Feed ramp.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#21]
My son's AK wasn't feeding HPs until I adjusted the feed ramp a little.  For those of you who say to just stick to FMJ, what happens when he doesn't have any FMJ to shoot?  I say, just fix the feed ramp, that way you can shoot what ever is available.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top