Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/11/2003 10:19:23 PM EDT
I don't know much about SKS's, or AK's but find myself attracted to their cheaper price when compared to AR's, of which I have 2 already. I want to buy an AK that is relatively good, but I don't want to spend a small fortune on it either. Model etc. don't really matter to me as much as fit, & function. I am planing on having a Walter Birdsong finish put on it so finish doesn't matter that much either. Just fit & function as a nice finish would be a waste for me to have with my plan. What would ya'll recommend for what I have described?

Also I found a used SKS in a local pawn shop the other day @ $325 but talked him down to $200 + taxes otd. It has a parkerized finish, scope mounted, green fiber type stock, cleaning rod, & sling. It's used but looks really new. Is this a stock weapon or does someone sell green stocks aftermarket? Is this a good deal or a rip off? I need info asap, as I don't want to miss out on it as it could be gone if I wait to long. Thanks for any help. Searcher for Truth out
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:51:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Because mags are so much easier to change, I say get an AK. BUt you can get a nice, almost new Yugo SKS easily for $200. Very well made if you do not crave a chrome bbl.
Do you have a strong opinion already for .30 or .22? AKs come in 2 smallbore and 1 medium bore caliber.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:06:44 AM EDT
[#2]
You can buy like new Yugo SKS's for $150-180 the last I saw.I have two ea of them. A beater and a safe queen.You didn't say how much your wanting to spend on the AK. So I will give you my OPINION on the first two I would consider.
  SAR 1 AK ( 7.62x39 )( Romanian )(Stamped) .$300-$370 . A very good AK that looks rough but is a diamond when polished up.It comes with a wood or wood laminate stock.Normally needs apolish job on them.No big deal.Don't wait to long on the SAR's .Rumour has it that they arn't being imported right now. Prices are sure to jump quick when they start to get low.

Second a SLR 101S ( 7.62x39 )(Bulgarian)( Milled ) Price $500-$550 .It is already finished nicely and needs nothing done other than if you want to personalise it.It comes with sythetic stock black or OD green.

That is the best to bargins to me out there.Best of luck to ya, WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#3]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=57202

How much are you looking to spend?  

I know a lot of guys here like the Romanian SARs, but they are lower tier in terms of quality.  Many of the SARs have numerous quality control issues like excessive windage, canted sights, trigger slap, etc, etc.  I will say the SAR are true AKs and shoot every time you pull the trigger.

You may want to check out the Arsenal SA M-7 which can be had for $550 shipped or a Robison Armament VEPR-K for $450 to $500.  The little bit of extra money goes a long way in terms of quality, fit, and finshish when it comes to AKs.  Just my .02

Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Since you are planning on having it refinished, look to spend between $250.00 and $350.00 for either a used AK, or a new SAR1 or SAR2. I am opinionated and prefer the SAR2 in 5.45. It shoots flatter and has the recoil of a 22.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
it's hard to beat a handpicked sar series romanian ak, as far as a bargain goes.

Sure it is, in the past two years I purchased an SLR-95 and an SA93 for $300 each out the door...
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#7]
You talked a pawn shop employee down from $325 to $200?  That's really impressive if you ask me.  

I'd go with either a SAR, or maybe a SAM-7 if you want an AK with fit and finish on par with your ARs.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 1:43:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Looks like the question is really one of price....

If you want to spend only $200, it sounds like that SKS is a good deal, if its in good condition.  The cost of one of those aftermarket stocks is about $50.  

If you want to spend $300 or so, you can get a SAR.

If you're willign to spend $350-$400 you can get a Milled Bulgarian AK (SLR-95, 98, SA-93, etc).  And I'd recommend that as I believe its a much better product for only $50-100 more.

If you're willing to spend $500-$600, then get a VEPR-- they are excellent.

If you'd like an AK and don't really need the AK look, then  get yourself a Saiga from CDNN for $160.   This is really a killer deal-- for $160 you get a brand new, russian made, top quality Kalishnikov... the only downside is that its in a hunting gun configuration.  So, if having a pistol grip is not critical to you, then save $150 and get yourself a brand new saiga.  And if having a pistol grip IS critial to you, you can buy that new saiga and convert it to the AK form factor rather easily by putting about $150 more into it.  (Or only $90 if you want to go cheaply.)  You just need to replace the furniture and the fire control group, or whatever combination of parts to get the imported parts count down to 10 or less.

IOW, with a little work, you can have a brand new, Russian made "AK-47" for less than $300.

Link Posted: 8/14/2003 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#9]
What type of scope mount was on the SKS, if it is a reciever cover mount then figure on another forty dollars for a mount that will allow you to hold a zero. Depending on a few details, that SKS may be a decent deal at $200, but likely it's priced very high. The trouble with buying a SKS (or AK) that has been customized is that if you do not like what they have done, then you are going to have to pay to change it back to original or the way you want it. I myself wouldn't pay much more for an SKS because it had been modified unless the mods were exactly what I was going to do myself. Within the last two years I have seen two d model SKS rifles for sale in like new condition for under $200 (I would have bought them myself but I already have two of them I picked up years ago when they were cheap. I must also admit that with the SKS's and thier value I am a bit biased, I bought my first SKS rifles back when they could be had brand new with accesories for $79.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought the sks in question, & the scope mount is the kind that is part of the rifle. It's a rectangular see through. It is the K-Sport model that is shown on the link in my question on the sks forum. It should be worth upwards of $500 according to the link, & I ended up paying $270.00 with taxes for it. I like it a lot. It has a parkerized finish,& a OD green stock put on by K-Sport. It was a limited edition, & supposedly somewhat rare. The scope has no name on it that I could find, but I am happy with it.
I still want to get an AK, & was thinking of spending between $350, to $550, so it looks like I got some really good advice from ya'll. Thanks everyone, Searcher out
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top