Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/5/2007 7:31:22 AM EDT
I've been looking at this rifle for awhile now. Would like to have a nice AK103, but wanted to make sure this is the best way to go before I drop this much dough.

Russian AK-103 Style AK 47 Rifle, 762 x 39 , semi auto,100% new, Imported Semi auto gas operated carbine,
base rifle built at the Russian Izmash arsenal & imported by Russian American Armory Company , receiver marked made in Russia Izmash Arsenal, Saiga 762 x39 .Featuring 16 inch chrome lined ,threaded barrel with Flash Hider & Bayonet Lug ,pistol grip, black poly stock set ,these have all the cool goodies!! ,If you are looking for a high quality Russian type AK47 rifle then you have found it .will accept high capacity magazines , comes with 1-30 round magazine & rifle case... extra magazines available, limited availability on these imported rifles, ,5 year warranty.We also carry these in the AK 103 classic style with wood stock sets & in .223 caliber .

www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=278

RAK 103 $829.00
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 7:46:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/5/2007 7:50:54 AM EDT by Shooter521]

Originally Posted By Scooter1942:
I've been looking at this rifle for awhile now. Would like to have a nice AK103, but wanted to make sure this is the best way to go before I drop this much dough.

These come in as Saiga sporters, which are good to go. IIRC, conversion is done by Red Jacket Firearms, so the workmanship should also be good to go, and everything I've read says Atlantic's customer service is top notch. Only thing left to gripe about is the pricetag, which strikes me as being a little high for a fixed-stock Saiga conversion. But you'd have to compare that to buying the rifle and all the parts and having Red Jacket (or another quality 'smith) do the conversion, to see if it would be any cheaper. One advantage to doing it that way would be that you could spread the process out over time (buy rifle, amass conversion parts, send to 'smith) rather than having to shell out all the money in one whack.

Link Posted: 11/5/2007 7:50:17 AM EDT
AWESOME. Anyone else have info about Red Jacket Firearms and how nice their conversions are?
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 8:04:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheMocoMan:
AWESOME. Anyone else have info about Red Jacket Firearms and how nice their conversions are?

I'd be interested. I want to buy something else as soon as my revolver comes in.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 8:21:01 AM EDT
i bought one of the 103's and they are top notch
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 8:33:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 8:48:58 AM EDT
atlantic gives AR15 members a discount
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 9:18:11 AM EDT
That price is not much less then the MSRP of a Arsenal SLR107CR with folding stock...

Link Posted: 11/5/2007 10:07:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/5/2007 10:08:57 AM EDT by Shooter521]

Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
I think that might have the ide folding stock actually. I am not sure about that though. looks like a hinge on the top picture on the Atlantic site.

What looks like a "hinge" is just the normal swell toward the front of the standard poly fixed stock. If the gun had a poly sidefolder, you would also see the unlocking button in the rear trunnion, the latching hook toward the front trunnion, and the optics rail cutout in the left side of the stock.

Originally Posted By Stottman:
That price is not much less then the MSRP of a Arsenal SLR107CR with folding stock...

And nobody should be paying MSRP! The Atlantic offering might be more competitive, depending on how good their ARFcom discount is.

Link Posted: 11/5/2007 10:42:09 AM EDT
What does atlanic firearms take off on a rifle cosing $829 for AR15.com members?

John
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 10:48:31 AM EDT
No dimples
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 11:10:13 AM EDT
call and ask!
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 12:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/5/2007 12:15:14 PM EDT by Lightning_P38]
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 4:43:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 6:36:10 PM EDT
I would be interested to know whether they do the conversion correctly by using a riveted bullet guide. Almost everybody goes with a screw on or welded up guide because doing it the right way with a rivet involves some serious work.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 6:58:03 PM EDT
my redjacket 101 has a screwed down bullet guide

I think the arsenal is a little nicer, but the saiga's are on a real russian reciever
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 4:54:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By texasaggie:
I would be interested to know whether they do the conversion correctly by using a riveted bullet guide. Almost everybody goes with a screw on or welded up guide because doing it the right way with a rivet involves some serious work.

Interesting. Does anyone know?
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 5:06:23 AM EDT
I don't understand the lure to spend the money to buy a converted single stack dimpleless Saiga.

Spend less and get more with a nice Bulgarian kit on an NDS receiver.
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 5:33:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/6/2007 5:40:17 AM EDT by Shooter521]

Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:
I don't understand the lure to spend the money to buy a converted single stack dimpleless Saiga.

I, OTOH, don't see what the BFD is about dimples; mags lock up as tight or tighter in my Saiga conversion than in my Arsenal Inc. guns with "correct" receivers.

A couple more things:
1) Saigas are imported as double-stack guns; they are not converted single stacks.
2) We are talking about AK-103s (7.62x39) here - no Bulgarian kits are available in that caliber that I'm aware of. Next best in quality would be Polish or Hungarian, and I'm betting by the time you got all your parts together and paid a good smith to assemble and refinish the thing, you'd end up damn close in price to the Atlantic gun (assuming the same configuration and using parts of similar quality).

<­BR>
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 7:56:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/6/2007 8:36:19 AM EDT by BB]

Saiga: $230
Bulgarian FSB from K-VAR: $81 (hopefully not a romainian; giving them benefit of the doubt; otherwise $41)
Bulgarian bullet guide from K-VAR: $14
Black US Made furniture from K-VAR: $100
Krebs 24mm brake (doubt they are using one as nice as krebs): $55
Surplus gas tube: $20
Handguard retainer: $22
G2 FCG from Tapco: $30
Half-assed conversion (no welded over trigger group holes, reused existing non-military trigger guard/gas block/selector lever, sprayed on refinish): apparently $150 or so. Seems about right. I wouldn't buy it though, unless you gotta have a Russian rifle and/or you gotta have it NOW. For that money I'd wait for the Arsenal SLR-107A1R
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 8:13:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/6/2007 8:16:14 AM EDT by BB]

Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:

Spend less and get more with a nice Bulgarian kit on an NDS receiver.

Saigas are not single stack. They are real Russian AK receivers, some have the dimples, trigger bump and Y stamps (military AK100 receivers). They are NEW, not demilled used rifles, and they are built by Izhmash, the same factory the original AK47 was designed and manufactured in. They have 40 years of knowledge on how to properly make an AK receiver over DCI, a company that has been doing it for what, 1 year? Where are you going to find a bulgarian rifle kit like that? You'd have to buy an AK74 kit and an AK47 kit, mix/match parts and put it all together in that configuration by a smith that knows what he is doing; gonna be an assload more that $850.

However when the SLR-107s come out I'd choose that over any of the above, including a top-of-the-line Saiga conversion, unless it's just the nostalgia of owning a Russkie AK that you are after.
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 9:31:02 AM EDT
What's the stuff about the SLR-107's that's got everyone excited? On the flip side of this board were excited about MagPul's lower. What's exciting on this side of the board?
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 12:39:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BB:

They are real Russian AK receivers, ...

No, they are not. They are real Russian Saiga receivers.

Link Posted: 11/6/2007 2:59:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Richard257:

Originally Posted By BB:

They are real Russian AK receivers, ...

No, they are not. They are real Russian Saiga receivers.

Sure looks like an AK receiver to me. As a matter of fact, its a military overrun AK103 receiver from the Venezuelan contract.
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 4:50:53 PM EDT
I have one and it is a really nice rifle. Just make sure they are riveting the bullet guide down on these new ones, I had an issue with that originally because it was screwed. Since that fix it has been flawless and the fit and finish is very nice.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:25:55 AM EDT
Are these darn SLR-107A1's out yet!?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:12:58 AM EDT

Interestingly, one of the top tier builders in my opinion (Krebs), welds in the bullet guide. My Saiga conversions done by Chris butler, another top builder, have the correct riveted guides as he doesn't think it's a good idea to put heat near the receiver/barrel.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:24:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheMocoMan:
Are these darn SLR-107A1's out yet!?

According to Arsenal, they aren't going to be producing the SLR-107 A1R any time soon. In a conversation I had with them this past Monday, they said for now it is just the SLR107 CR, and SLR 107 UR. They supposdly are going back to milled receiver rifle production and nothing on the radar beyond that. They also said they wont be doing the SA M7 carbine but they will be doing the SA M7. I hate that stupid Nato stock!!!!
Of course, anything Arsenal says is subject to change daily.

I got tired of waiting on the 107 A1 and the SLR-108, and just ordered a special edition (slip over break) 107 CR from RSR.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:50:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:50:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BrianNH:

Interestingly, one of the top tier builders in my opinion (Krebs), welds in the bullet guide. My Saiga conversions done by Chris butler, another top builder, have the correct riveted guides as he doesn't think it's a good idea to put heat near the receiver/barrel.

Why would you consider Kreb's a top tier builder? Anyone who welds in a bullet guide is not a top tier builder.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:57:01 PM EDT
Took my Red Jacket AK103 to the range today. This is the same model that Atlantic sells, I just happened to find one used on the EE.

Great rifle. I had to push the front sight pretty far over, but that could have to do more with the crappy Uly hollow point ammo that's been sitting in a train car since the early days of the AWB. Nonetheless, no failures of any kind and it behaved like an AK should. Groups were not fantastic, but on par with most AK's I've owned. I suspect that new FMJ ammo would make a big difference.

Great G2 trigger but the finish...at least on mine...is pretty worn and looks like it is not very durable. I'll probably re-finish it with Brownells at some point.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:01:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:35:35 AM EDT

Took my Red Jacket AK103 to the range today. This is the same model that Atlantic sells, I just happened to find one used on the EE.

Great rifle. I had to push the front sight pretty far over, but that could have to do more with the crappy Uly hollow point ammo that's been sitting in a train car since the early days of the AWB. Nonetheless, no failures of any kind and it behaved like an AK should. Groups were not fantastic, but on par with most AK's I've owned. I suspect that new FMJ ammo would make a big difference.

Great G2 trigger but the finish...at least on mine...is pretty worn and looks like it is not very durable. I'll probably re-finish it with Brownells at some point.
If it's one of mine , the warrenty goes with the gun . if the finish hasn't held up properly , I'd be happy to refinish in either DuraCoat or KG's Guncoat . Will
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:55:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RedJacket:
If it's one of mine , the warrenty goes with the gun . if the finish hasn't held up properly , I'd be happy to refinish in either DuraCoat or KG's Guncoat . Will

Gentlemen...now that's exceptional service! I spoke with Will at length before purchasing this rifle several weeks ago and I had intended to buy direct from him...and then the very next day one showed up on the EE. Nonetheless, the time he spent with me on the phone explaining what they do and now extending that warranty to a second owner is top notch service.

The mediocre finish on my rifle may have more to do with the handling by the previous owner than the durability of the finish. Nonetheless, I may be in touch to take you up on your offer.

Will, how would I go about confirming that this is one of your rifles?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:13:53 AM EDT

Gentlemen...now that's exceptional service! I spoke with Will at length before purchasing this rifle several weeks ago and I had intended to buy direct from him...and then the very next day one showed up on the EE. Nonetheless, the time he spent with me on the phone explaining what they do and now extending that warranty to a second owner is top notch service.

The mediocre finish on my rifle may have more to do with the handling by the previous owner than the durability of the finish. Nonetheless, I may be in touch to take you up on your offer.

Give me a call w/ the serial # . easy money ;)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:01:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RetroRevolver77:

Originally Posted By BrianNH:

Why would you consider Kreb's a top tier builder? Anyone who welds in a bullet guide is not a top tier builder.

I dont know enough about AK conversions and gunsmithing to know wheteher it is bad to weld in a bullet guide. I do know that it's not authentic that's for sure.

The first Saiga conversion I purchased was built by Mark Krebs years ago and it was a fine rifle. At the time I purchased it, there wasn't anyone that built an AK-103 that was worth a darn. Krebs I thought has always had a reputation for building a good AK. Certainly a notch or two up from the Vectors and Red Jacket AK's.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:45:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 8:46:52 PM EDT by RedJacket]

Top Top