Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/14/2006 11:57:22 AM EDT
This is going to be my first gun and my first build. I read the kits are sportmansguide are in great shape. I was also told that the Polish AK's are some of the finest ever made.

So I decided to go with a Polish AKMS Underfolder seen here.

A 1mm reciever from Global Trades, based right here in Houston.
http://www.globaltrades.com/ak_receivers.html

Then I was going to get a rivet set, US made muzzle break, US made piston, and US made trigger group.

The grand total would be ~$350 for all of this, would have one of the finest AK's made as planned?

I really do not have any experience building guns but I am mechanically inclined. I'm actually a computer builder, take a look at some of my work..

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/3272/picture0125yp.jpg

I don't have any of the required tools though and was hoping someone in the Houston area could help me out with my first build. I'll do all the work I just need some guidance, I promise to bring all the beer you can drink!how
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:01:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 2:01:46 PM EDT by beemerman]
Use the original piston. Use a US made handgrip instead. Otherwise sounds good.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:42:25 PM EDT
Why use the original piston? I've heard people saying that US grips suck.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:09:55 PM EDT
I bought me one of those kits....Be sure to clean the bore and eye ball it real good....I sent 2 back stating that not as described.....Bores were shot out.....Check the throat too...The second 1 I received looked like heavey leading but was in fact erroded...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:31:16 PM EDT
I just sent my SG Polish kit back. I thought I try since I was a member. Horrible only 50% finishing. Too many other places that are known to be good kits. I got my first from Akron Armory. My 2nd one is coming from dansammo as they have a grade 1 without the mag an bayo for like $210 shipped.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:35:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 3:55:29 PM EDT by beemerman]
Well thats up to you if you want to change the piston. Ihave 1 Romanian kit that I had Global trades build for me and it has the US grip on it and I like it just fine . My preferance was to leave in what was already fitted to the rifle (piston) All original Except for Receiver,hand grip ,G2 trigger ,and slant brake. Now for kit purchase may I suggest you check out Dans Ammo.com They have the best polish kits around. I think that others would agree. But again It's up to you . Go with the collectors gradeand you won't be sorry. Go to the Polish sight and posted on page 1 by Socandyman will give you a look at the finished product.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:54:52 PM EDT
DansAmmo doesnt have any guns listed, does that mean they are out of stock? Akron Armory has a good rep, especially since they offer them in different conditions. Has anyone had a luck with the collectors or service grade kits? Is there a big difference?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:02:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 4:04:50 PM EDT by beemerman]
Jdizzle go to Dans and click on the parts kit picture on the right Then click on PKM parts kit collector grade 249.00 the kit you will receive will be just like whats in the picture. At least thats how mine were. 2 kits exactly the same. Are you looking for a gun, or kit?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:11:00 PM EDT
Oops my fault, I'm looking for a kit. Wanted to build one up myself, figured it would be a good learning experience. Also the satisfaction of know that I built it is a plus .
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:13:07 PM EDT
skip akron armory, he might have had a good rep in the past, but his kit fiasco last year sucked ass, I waited 40 days to get my kit, when it arrived the numbers didn't match and was missing parts, this was in the middle of all the BS that was going on, called and told him of this, he had dansammo send the missing parts, ended up keeping the kit since he didn't know if he'd be able to get anymore of them, I built it up into a great looking rifle though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:21:30 PM EDT
Looks like someone is overclocking.....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:22:17 PM EDT
Just a little bit
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:30:17 AM EDT
JDizzle, I'm actually going the same route. Just received my kit today from the sportsmansguide.
It's all matching numbers and appears to be in decent shape, definately something I can work with. There's no pitting and the bore shines, the exterior appears to have more wear on it- pretty much expected that but i'm betting it will clean up real nice. Maybe it's just luck of the draw?

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:44:02 AM EDT
Are you going with a global trades receiver also?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:46:04 AM EDT
Tried to get some better pics so you could check it out, no toes in the pictures but I managed to get my arm in there heh heh. What do you think? should of I expected more or is this right on track (keep in mind this is fresh outta the box)

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:47:55 AM EDT
I'm still looking into where I want to buy the reciever from but Global Trades looks good. They have a long wait but the no ones complaining about quality.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:10:40 PM EDT
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:46:52 AM EDT
You look thirsty, drink man!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:27:11 PM EDT
Only thing that's stopping me from ordering everything is that I don't have the proper tools to complete the build.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:28:30 PM EDT
lol either do I man, I bought the kit first and im going to just try and figure it out as I go.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:57:03 PM EDT
Just do it. It's only half as hard as it looks and everyone here has good advice when you need it. Check the U Drive screw thread too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:26:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 8:28:17 AM EDT by 2FALable]

Originally Posted By Ndenway:
skip akron armory, he might have had a good rep in the past, but his kit fiasco last year sucked ass, I waited 40 days to get my kit, when it arrived the numbers didn't match and was missing parts, this was in the middle of all the BS that was going on, called and told him of this, he had dansammo send the missing parts, ended up keeping the kit since he didn't know if he'd be able to get anymore of them, I built it up into a great looking rifle though.

For instance I never received my Tantal kit from Akron, even after the fiasco started I was still getting calls from Bob saying my kit would come, but then I never heard anything else...

So yeah I'd have to say skip Akron.

As for GT receivers, go the the gun show right as it opens, they usually will have some receivers at the show, but they don't last more than an hour or so.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:05:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 3:13:13 PM EDT by JDizzle]
Yea I'm gonna skip on Akron Armory, I saw this thread over at gunsnet where there were atleast 5 people complaining about the same thing. Bob would keep telling them that their kits would be in next week, some guy even waited for 6 months and finally ordered from Dan and got his kit 5 days later. Bob he posted in the thread over there and he just doesnt seem like a good person to deal with. He kept placing the blame on other people.

I'll definately look into the drive screw, seems like a good easier way to go. Now I just have to save up enough money for the kit. Any idea when the next Houston gun show is?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:23:31 PM EDT
Bob and Dan were partners- Bob would take care of the orders and Dan would take care of the shipping. Dan also sold for himself through his website. Dan FLAKED and took off to FRANCE with his girlfriend and didn't ship kits for a month, basically screwing Bob who didn't know Dan was gone...

Dan got back and made sure he filled all of his orders first like any smart businessman would.

I got a great kit from Bob and it would be built by now if it wasn't for GT USA lying for 3 months about their problems...

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:03:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 3:04:50 PM EDT by Delmarksman]
Welcome to the Forum,

I recommend Scott at DPH. He is well known here as a great guy to deal with.
He has Collector Grade Polish AKMS Kits for $269 and you can order all the other little parts like your rivet set, FCG, etc. and save on shipping.

DPH

Prices are going to increase, don't wait too long.

Del
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:44:52 PM EDT
JDizzle, You may wish to check out the instructional videos that Curtis has on his website. You can register for free and then download his vids. He has one on replacing the gas piston, and he sells the gas piston rivets, too. I wish I had found his (and others') site before having all my build tooling made.

Curtis' site is: www.ak-builder.com

My advice to you as a (fellow) build newbie is take your time and do lots of research.

My first build was a Romy kit so if I messed something up it would be a cheap mistake.

The Polish Underfolder kits I bought from Dan's are really nice. I got grade ones awhile back and they look unissued.

My Poles were shipped immediately after I placed my order. I don't know about chasing women in France, but I do know how Alabama bucks act when the rut hits. Guys get stupid & throw logic to the wind when they get a whiff. At least Dan's not a fag.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
- George Orwell.
Top Top