Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/22/2007 4:50:34 AM EDT
I was going for something different. So I took an AK I had that already was "aged" and matched it with some other parts I aged myself with wool and sandpaper. I refinished the stock and put on a 74 break. How do you think it looks? Should I add more bluing back, or keep it the way it is?

Link Posted: 11/22/2007 7:01:04 AM EDT
I think it looks really nice. You'll want to be extra careful keeping it lubed externally to prevent rust, though, right?

Still looks nice to me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 7:05:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By engineer2001:
I think it looks really nice. You'll want to be extra careful keeping it lubed externally to prevent rust, though, right?

Still looks nice to me.

Before I changed it around, it was still lacking a ton of finish, but I'm yet to have a rust issue, not even surface rust. Maybe it's the area I live in, not sure. But I've had the gun for around 4 months (or more) in it's bluing condition without a single issue.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:58:59 PM EDT
I like the look of the steel. The stocks are too shiny for the battlefield look.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:21:10 PM EDT
I like the way it looks currently, minus ventilated handguard.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:22:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2007 7:24:19 PM EDT by kchamp84]
I remember an earlier pic of this one b4 you aged it and I think it looked better then and I'm not feeling the vented guard. but still a nice rifle.

edit: also the wood is way to nice for that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 8:59:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kchamp84:
I remember an earlier pic of this one b4 you aged it and I think it looked better then and I'm not feeling the vented guard. but still a nice rifle.

edit: also the wood is way to nice for that.

I didn't age the AK, I aged the vent and the brake.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:06:02 PM EDT
oh, humm. nevermind. I'ma go brush up on my reading skills.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:34:24 PM EDT
+1 on the furniture, it looks to nice.

But you did a great job on the rest, the only thing I'd say to do is reblue and re-age the right side of the rear sight base, looks to scratchy try just the wool on it.
I like the vented upper, something different.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:32:43 AM EDT
Grab some beaten up wood and a slant break.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:21:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hegalex:
Grab some beaten up wood and a slant break.

Yeah, I have a Romanian G-kit (laminated pistol grip forend, laminated top handguard, bakelite grip, and laminated stock) furniture set. They are a little beat up, and they'd match perfectly. I could take those others off your hand in exchange for them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:45:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By coils:
+1 on the furniture, it looks to nice.

But you did a great job on the rest, the only thing I'd say to do is reblue and re-age the right side of the rear sight base, looks to scratchy try just the wool on it.
I like the vented upper, something different.

exactly what I thought. That would be a rather protected area from wear. The latch maybe a different story but the sight base itself would be darker.
Top Top