Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 1:07:51 AM EDT
Got a Century Arms AK a few years back and it was made with the Maddi receiver, but the problem is it has to have the front sight adjusted way to the right in order to get it to hit point of aim. I had it "fixed" by the local gunsmith but it still shoots off. Any ideas, I have even considered rebarreling the thing, I see tapco sells the barrels with both sights, made in China for about $50.00. I am not sure how the barrel is attached to the Maddi, can anyone tell me or offer any suggestions? I thought about selling it but I don't want to pass the problem on to someone else, wish I had been able to get ahold of Century at the time, my dealer has had such bad luck with them, he offered the money back but he would not send it back to Century. I just put the thing away but latley I want to shoot it again but I sure would like to fix the problem. It shoots fine, it just bugs me to see the front sight so close to the right ear on the front sight.
Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:35:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Send it to a reputable gunsmith...I'm sure it can be aligned to shoot correctly....

If it's one of the MISR rifles.....hmmmmmm.....you might be in a fix....

KF
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:57:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#3]
get yourself a RPK rear sight, and replace the existing sight.......that fixed my problem on my MISR S/A.....I was able to put my front sight back to center, and just adjusted the windage on the rear sight. I wouldn't get rid of a MAADI or put the extra money in to have a barrel installed, or pay a gunsmith to fix it.......around 30 bucks, will fix your problem.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the help, ordered the RPK sight from Global, it is adjustable for windage. This site is the best!
Take care and thanks to all who replied.
Mark
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi Mark, got your e-mail and came here just in time to see your problem is fixed.  I was going to suggest the RPK site too.  Glad to see you found an acceptable solution.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:32:55 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want to check the straightness of your AK front sight, you can field strip it down and put it on your kitchen table, using the magazine well as a flat resting surface for your weapon.

Take a carpenters square or other good right angled measuring tool and lay it along side the front sight on both sides. Notice the differance in the gap between the square and the front sight on both sides.

This is how I finally fixed my Maadi, eyeballing it the first time wasn't good enough.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Catcano57, how do you take off the rear sight and how does the new sight re-install.  I'm not having any sight problems but having an ajustable rear sight would nice.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Hello USam, boy, that is a great question, I am learning to. I will sure keep you posted, I was hoping someone on line could help us. If anyone knows how to remove the rear sight on an AK, please let us know.
Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Anybody??????
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#10]
to take off the rear sight, first bring the rear sight to the vertical position, straight up and down, then press in the leaf spring with a small screw driver or something that will fit in front of the sight and get down to the leaf spring, then just back the sight out from the sight base. there is plenty of tension on those...if you have a drill press you can use that to put a lot of pressure on the leaf spring.....just use a drill bit that is small enought to get down to the leaf spring.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks sfcret.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top