Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2003 9:02:43 AM EDT
I recently purchased a used Romainian AK, Sar 1 and the muzzle break was not attached to the gun.  The guy who owned it only fired it a coulple of times and he said the break came off when he shot the gun.  I can see that it had a small weld where it was attached, but it was not done too well.  I can weld it, but the problem is that the break I have is a threaded one.  The barrel is not threaded. And the big problem is that the diamater of the barrel is smaller thatn the muzzle break, so it just slides right on.  So even if I weld the the break on with a spot weld, there will still be LOTS of room for gas to escape from underneath the loosness of the break.  Is there anything I can do to sleeve this or Is this just how all Romanians come???  I'm just curious about what to do before I go and start welding on my gun.  

Thanks

FatPug
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a post at AK47.com about this.  The SAR1 does not have a threaded barrell and the 2003 SARs have a smaller dia. than previous SARs.  Places like CDNN are selling AK74 style brakes claiming they fit AK47 when they don't.  Check the other site, some have put shims between then pinned the break on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Please read the FAQ at the top of the page.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If you take a close look at it you'll see it's not really a good copy of the AK-74 break to begin with. Your best bet is to just throw it in the trash and order a Romainian Flash Hider and braze it on.  That's what I did with my SAR-1.  It looks better, is a functional flash hider and if you braze it on right  it'll never come off.  Even though there are no threads on the barrel and threads in the flash hider it's still a close enough fit to line up.  Plus, if you think about it, all the force will be pushing back on the flash hider so it shouldn't shoot off if it's put on properly.   Hope this has been some help, talk at ya' later.  TN.Frank
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top