Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 9:19:55 AM EDT
I ran across a Poly Tech in 5.56.  Was in VERY nice shape, not quite new, but it was very nice.  Had a slant brake and the folding spike bayonet.  I would guess from the features that this was a Pre-'89 import.  What is a fair price that I should consider paying for this weapon if that's how the cards unfold?  Also, what is this price for NEW 5.56 AK mags, both steel and polymer?  Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Does it have an underfolding stock?

The cost of mags depends on what the gun can take. German .223 steel magazines are fairly cheap, about $12, but they do not fit all .223 AK rifles. You can also buy 5.45 magazines and then modify them to fit, if you are willing to do the work.

How is the barrel condition?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a folder, it has wood furniture.  I saw someone posting a pic earlier today of one identical to it, but in 7.62.  I'm not sure how the bore was, I just gave a quick once over due to time constraints.  If I end up being able to buy it, I'll give it a more thorough inspection.

I found some new mags for 5.56 AKs that are steel, similar in appearance to Galil mags.  They have plastic anti-tilt followers (they look strikingly similar to the Magpul followers), and they have a metal base plate held in place by a plastic plate with two detents (approx 5mm dia).  I don't know if I explained this well, but the base plate is held in place like Glock base plates, except with two detents.  Where do mags like this come from, and how much do they run?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I would need to see a picture of the mag to tell... but you would have better luck asking in the Magazines area.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I ran across a Poly Tech in 5.56.  Was in VERY nice shape, not quite new, but it was very nice.  Had a slant brake and the folding spike bayonet.  I would guess from the features that this was a Pre-'89 import.  What is a fair price that I should consider paying for this weapon if that's how the cards unfold?  Also, what is this price for NEW 5.56 AK mags, both steel and polymer?  Thanks a lot.

Fair price would be $400-500... but a realistic price is around 800-1000 depending on your area,
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#5]
No polytech in Good condition goes for less than $750. I was lucky, I got a Polytech in new condition, underfolding spike bayo, 7.62x39mm, for $695 OTD including all original accsessories (one mag NIW and one mag in the gun). It even came with a nifty leather padded case.

A reasonable price for a 7.62 variant, to both people if its in VG condition, is $900. I guess 5.56 variants would be the same or more if less were imported.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I'll try to get pics of the mag up soon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No polytech in Good condition goes for less than $750. I was lucky, I got a Polytech in new condition, underfolding spike bayo, 7.62x39mm, for $695 OTD including all original accsessories (one mag NIW and one mag in the gun). It even came with a nifty leather padded case.

A reasonable price for a 7.62 variant, to both people if its in VG condition, is $900. I guess 5.56 variants would be the same or more if less were imported.

Got mine for $625 from a friend, 2 orignal mags and the box....gun is like new. But thats just luck to get them at those prices....they average about $850.00 for a real nice one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got mine for $625 from a friend, 2 orignal mags and the box....gun is like new. But thats just luck to get them at those prices....they average about $850.00 for a real nice one.

Mind sharing a friend?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I found some new mags for 5.56 AKs that are steel, similar in appearance to Galil mags. They have plastic anti-tilt followers (they look strikingly similar to the Magpul followers), and they have a metal base plate held in place by a plastic plate with two detents (approx 5mm dia). I don't know if I explained this well, but the base plate is held in place like Glock base plates, except with two detents. Where do mags like this come from, and how much do they run?

thats a weiger mag made in east germany they are the best steel 223 mag !
cost if your lucky about $25.00
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I found some new mags for 5.56 AKs that are steel, similar in appearance to Galil mags. They have plastic anti-tilt followers (they look strikingly similar to the Magpul followers), and they have a metal base plate held in place by a plastic plate with two detents (approx 5mm dia). I don't know if I explained this well, but the base plate is held in place like Glock base plates, except with two detents. Where do mags like this come from, and how much do they run?

thats a weiger mag made in east germany they are the best steel 223 mag !
cost if your lucky about $25.00

Awesome!  I didn't ever get around to putting up a pic w/ any speed, but I figured someone would know the answer.  

I was at a gunstore today looking around, and they had a few 5.56 AKs.   They were Norincos, but they wore those wanna be Dragunov stocks.  I can't tell if it's the stock covering part of the receiver or if they're the angle cut receivers.  Am I correct in thinking that with the angle cut, that I can't put regular furniture on it?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]
The AK hunter is the Norinco AK with a slant milled reciever. You can tell because the trigger will be long- like it will go back an inch before curving into a trigger shape. Link below:

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=78&t=81841

With some modification it can look kinda like a regular AK. But, alot of Norinco rifles came in with the thumbhole stock that CAN take regular stock sets. Very few are slant style recievers.

As far as the German mags, AIM had them for $12 each, but are now apparently sold out... EDIT AIM listed them again, they are now $14 http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AK_Magazines.html
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#12]
It's def not a Norinco hunter.  It has the standar trigger-unless they reworked them like people were doing w/ Saigas and changing the location of the trigger.  It was also a stamped receiver not a milled.  The muzzles were bare on these rifles w/ no threading, which made me think they were post ban.  I'm not hugely familiar w/ AKs like I am w/ ARs though, so I'm probably talking out of my ass like a moron and not making any sense.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#13]
, so I'm probably talking out of my ass like a moron and not making any sense.

You will fit right in...

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]
No, don't worry, you make perfect sense.

If the rifle is 5.45 or 5.56, then the muzzle may be bare anyway. Some new "no-ban" rifles, like the Romanian ones, are comming in without threading anyway. Of course if its Chinese then it's a post ban rifle as no new Chinese ones will come in at all.

The way you describe it, it is probably a MAK style rifle with a thumbhole style stock. These can easily be switched out for regular AK stocks. Tapco, K-VAR, The Sportsmans Guide, PolytechParts... there are plenty of places to get different stocks for your AK.

How much are they going for? For a standard MAK rifle, the cost is $300-400 right now. If it is a Polytech, well, you already know the prices. Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No, don't worry, you make perfect sense.

If the rifle is 5.45 or 5.56, then the muzzle may be bare anyway. Some new "no-ban" rifles, like the Romanian ones, are comming in without threading anyway. Of course if its Chinese then it's a post ban rifle as no new Chinese ones will come in at all.

The way you describe it, it is probably a MAK style rifle with a thumbhole style stock. These can easily be switched out for regular AK stocks. Tapco, K-VAR, The Sportsmans Guide, PolytechParts... there are plenty of places to get different stocks for your AK.

How much are they going for? For a standard MAK rifle, the cost is $300-400 right now. If it is a Polytech, well, you already know the prices. Good luck!

I might have a possible line on a Polytech, but the ones I described above were Norinco's, and were about 450.  The Polytechwas 550.  The Polytech is looking like the better deal, as I know it's a pre-'89 since it has the real furniture and a threaded barrel, w/ folding spike bayonet...if having Polytech on the side of the receiver didn't give it away.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Go with the Polytech.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Go with the Polytech.

That's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#18]
The only mags that fit the Chinese .223 are Chinese .223 mags...stay away from the rest. They will run you anywhere from $20-$45......I just picked up 2 for my Norinco preban and they were $20 each.....great price.  Dont waste your time trying to make something work that wasnt made for it to begin with. If you want the gun you have to pay the price.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Polytech .223 Aks use a different mag then the Norinco .223 variants.

Polytech .223 mags are very expensive if you can find them . $50 +++ .
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#20]
The only difference between Norinco .223 and PolyTech .223 is the markings on the bottom of the mag...other than that THEY ARE IDENTICAL(except for the chrome follower on PolyTech Mags). I have both and both work the exact same.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The only difference between Norinco .223 and PolyTech .223 is the markings on the bottom of the mag...other than that THEY ARE IDENTICAL(except for the chrome follower on PolyTech Mags). I have both and both work the exact same.

Poly mag :

Norinco Mag :

Look alot different . Wasnt aware you could use both in either gun though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

.223 Polytech and .223 Norinco mags are not even close to the same. If you have mags that will work in both rifles, they have been modified. I have over 40 .223 Polytech mags and close to that many Norincos and none of them have crome followers. Sounds like you are confusing the 7.62 mags with the .223.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:27:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.223 Polytech and .223 Norinco mags are not even close to the same. If you have mags that will work in both rifles, they have been modified. I have over 40 .223 Polytech mags and close to that many Norincos and none of them have crome followers. Sounds like you are confusing the 7.62 mags with the .223.

Yeah I posted pics of the differences as I have Norinco 84s and the poly and norinco mags will not interchange.

I think your right he is mixing up the two.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#24]
So back to the earlier question.   How do you tell the difference between a Norinco and a Polytech .223 magazine?

edit:  actually MDN picture helps.  Does anyone have closeup pics of both types.

Thanks
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top