Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/5/2002 6:03:57 AM EDT
I have a friend who has a PolyTech fixed stock pre-ban (confirmed...I remember when he bought it) and 6-8 correct PolyTech / Chinese .223 mags. Gun is in very nice shape and has been fired probably not over 2-3000 rd. I an pretty sure I can buy it for $700 cash. I know this is a good price, but convince me that this rifle is a better buy than another post-ban AR for about the same price. I already have mags, etc. for my ARs, but I do kinda like the PolyTech.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:22:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't do as you ask.  Frankly, I think the pre-ban polytechs .223 cal rifles should run around $400. But the market disagrees with me. I realize that the market is driven by the highest bidder so that my bid would not be accepted.  But my bid would be $400 tops.

Its just not any better than a postban. So you are paying several hundred dollars for a slant brake and a bayonet.  If it had some collector value then maybe a price hike would be in order.  But how can a Chinese .223 cal AK be collectable? I have no idea.

-Southern

Link Posted: 12/5/2002 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The big advantage to the pre ban is you can put an underfolder on and have a threaded muzzle for a brake or flash hider. I have a pre ban poly in .223 that I paid $700 for and am very happy with the rifle itself. It's a good thing you are getting mags with the rifle because they aren't available any more. I had to midify some SAR 3 mags to get them to fit the Poly mag well and I'm still not completly satisfied with them. I found out that I can have the rifle rebarreled to 7.62 x 39 for around $250 so I may go that direction.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Another high quality option is a Bulgy 5.56 kit for $430 at KVAR, but after US parts/receiver, and build/finish, you are back in that price range. It won't need rarer Chicom mags to run, but it won't be pre-ban either.
Me? I'd spend $550 on a VEPR, heavy, very well built, accurate, and the funky looks happen to be great ergonomics for me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 2:33:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

you will have less headaches (probably none, actually) with the polytech than the sar-3...which is in all likelyhood the most problematic ak ever sold in america.

I always wonder how many people who insult the SAR-3 actually own one, or have even fired one.....  My guess is that Campy would answer negative on both fronts.

The problems with the SAR-3 are generally touted by individuals who don't own one.  The weapon is fine.  It may require a new $20 dollar hammer.  It only takes a few minutes to install a new hammer, and you should practice doing it anyway, even if you don't need to (at least once to learn how to change the parts out).  

High quality new steel magazines are cheap and easy to acquire from InterOrdnance.com.  It is IMHO much harder to obtain good mags for the Chicom .223 cal AKs.

-SS
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top