Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/9/2006 3:51:06 PM EDT
Part #s match (barrel, bolt, carrier, gas tube...)

Heavy finish wear, but otherwise it looks great. Bore also looks great. Strong rifling and mirror finish.
Markings show an 11 in a circle, with 1979 next to it. gas piston looks brand new and chromed... no carbon on it.
The upper handguard is so dark, it looks like baklite. I can't tell if it's wood or not!  What IS it?  Is it just laminated? It looks like the grain runs around it, not forward and back.....and the edges are crisp like bakelite too... but I just can't tell without removing it.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]
looks nice!
That's what I want next.
Now put it together and take some more pics.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
how much did they charge to ship it?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
$11 via UPS

More than fair. Very happy with my purchase.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Yours looks a little nicer than the one I got from SG around Christmas, but what the hell it's a $200 military surplus parts kit. I just want to shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully you've got more matching numbers in there somewhere...

I can think of a few more places you can look for the serial number:

Recoil Spring
Dustcover
Safety
Disconnector/Sear Trip
Rear Sight

The circle with the "11" inside means it was made in Poland.

That upper handguard is the laminated wood.  Supposedly it's walnut.  After baking mine at 230* for 4 hours to get the cosmoline out, I can tell you they definitely aren't pine and almost smell like walnuts.

As far as the finish goes- get two cans of carb cleaner and start spraying away.  The black finish will just run right off.  No scrubbing necessary.  To think, I paid extra for a Grade "A"...

Good news is, it will all be the same shade of Duracoat matte black pretty soon...

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top