Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/4/2005 11:22:03 AM EDT
I think I am ready to jump on the build it yourself bandwagon.  Is the above mentioned kit a bad one to start with?  Do I need a unique receiver for it, or will a regular one work?

I have been looking at this section, but I haven't seen any mention of using a tantal kit.

Also, where is a link to the BATF letter that caused the run on the kits?

thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#1]
to build it correct you would need a special rec
with new selector you can just build it

its a fairly simple kit to build
you should get a 100% rec tho (ak74) either oow or global
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I would suggest getting a Romanian kit for $100 or so and do that for your first build.  The tolerances are bigger and after you build that correctly you can try a '74/tantal- tolerances on 74's are tighter.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the simple answer is a Romanian kit is 80-130 dollars (assuming you get the Tapco G2, kit, retainer kit) or a dph grade 'c' kit....

Or in between, but avergae of $100.

Much better to experiment with a $100 kit than a $200 kit.  Trust me you'll want more than one so blow the $100 for a Romanian kit, build that, figure out all the stuff you did wrong or would like to have done better, then build the Tantal.

When it's all said and done you'll have two generations of AK which is always a good thing.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top