Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/20/2005 8:36:16 AM EDT
Title says it all; I am getting impatient with the lack of Bulgarian Waffle circle 10 mags that are marked 5.56mm and I understand the Polish mags will fit into an Arsenal 5.56 rifle

What has to be done to make the 5.45s into 5.56s? Are Followers required?

Thanks,

D.C. Johnson
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply! I have one black 5.45 - I think it is Hungarian - and will definitly use the Robarm follower for that (everyone suggests it) but I am curious about the Polish mags; as advised though, I'll just keep searching for Circle 10 5.56mm waffles.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to convert a 5.45 polymer magazine, why not convert Bulgy 5.45's?  The magazines are less expensive to start with than the Polish 5.45's.  You'll need to Robarm follower and will need to file out the some of the inside of both lips at the top of the magazine to allow for the 5.56 cartridge shoulder.  Use the converted 5.45 magazine that came with your rifle as a guide.  I did this to a couple of black Bulgy 5.45's and they work perfect.

FYI, it is not a given that the Bulgy waffle 5.56 magazines will simply lock right in your rifle.  I had to file a little off of the top rear of mine to allow them to clear the back of the magazine well.  They also work perfect.

Ideally, I'm told that your best bet are Polish Beryl 5.56 magazines.  They're suppose to just lock right in and work perfectly.  Unfortunately, they're scarce so converting Bulgy 5.45's is a better option when cost is a factor.  They're current production magazines, so I'll bet we see more of them at a reasonable price in the future.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#4]
excellent suggestion. I just checked & they are in stock at kvar:

M-74B - Magazine, AK-74 Ribbed ~ 30 rd. Bulgarian Black Polymer 5.45x39.5 Brand. Marked 10 in Double Circle High-capacity magazines can not be billed or shipped to CA, NJ, MD, or MA.  

Cheap too. WIll give it a whirl & thanks for the info. Regards,

CBR
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Those are all great ideas...

But you can save time and money by just buying 5.56mm mags to start with. Steel 30 round .223 mags for $15 each. http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AK_Magazines.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
But you can save time and money by just buying 5.56mm mags to start with. Steel 30 round .223 mags for $15 each. http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AK_Magazines.html

Those particular steel 5.56 mags (called Weigers) absolutely will not work.  I have some and have already tried.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#7]
It says they will not fit Norinco or VEPR variants. What did you try yours in?

If it still didn't work, I'm sorry, I do not have a 5.56mm AK but just wanted to help out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I should correct myself.  Those magazines won't work in a Vepr rifle.  That's what I've tried.  The specific question in this topic regarded them fitting in an Arsenal 5.56 rifle.  I'm almost positive that they won't work in that one either.  Someone who has tried it will have to say so for sure.  The Weiger magazines work in the 223Rem chambered Romanian SAR rifles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#9]
qgunner2 - thanks for the heads up; I do own 2 AK rifles in 5.56mm. Here is what I found:

1) Romanian SAR-3: ONLY steel Weiger mags will fit. none of my other polymer mags work in it. Galil mags will not fit. As above, the Weigers are available.

2) Arsenal SA-R rifles in 5.56mm: ONLY mags I know of that will fit are polymer mags including Circle 10 waffles and the single polymer 5.45mm mag I bought at a gunshow. Weigers will not fit, nor will Galil (oddly - the galil mags fit into an AK in 7.62x39mm). I have no idea about norincos but since they are import banned, its sorta a non issue.

Since there seem to be plenty of 5.45 mags out there, naturally I am looking at those. What i really want are the circle 10 clear Waffle mags marked 5.56mm that kvar is supposed to start selling again, but they are holding out on us.  Thanks again guys; keep the suggestions coming.

CBR
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I would like to use some of the black Bulgy mags in my SAR3 (already have some Weigers). I will order the RobArms followers, but right now the mags won't even lock into the gun! I can't quite rock it in far enough at the back.

Anyone know how to make these magazines work with a SAR3 - where to file the mags, etc..?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top