Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:12:27 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm mostly an AR guy, but my Polish heritage (1st generation) has led me to wanting to buy one of these as soon as humanly possible.  My questions:

What should I look for? (Name brands, parts, etc)

Are there any modifications that would definetly help me out?

What accuracy should I expect?  I saw those nifty Russian AK scopes on impactguns.com and was wondering if getting one would be worth it, or if the accuracy of an AK too weak to even think about it.

How the heck do I clean/ field strip/ maintain one of these?  And where can I find information on doing so?

Lastly, Where do I find one?  Anyone know of reputable dealers who have them in stock?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I think a scope or red dot is worth it. My group with a SAR-1 shrunk from probably 6 inches or more at 100yds, to under an inch at 60 to 70 with just a red dot.

I hate HATE stock AK sights.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
www.militarygunsupply.com has PMKMS underfolders for $599.00

I'll actually get to see a few of these at the gun show this weekend, so I'll report back and let you know how they look. If you have an FFL in your area that will do a transfer for you, then you can have one shipped in.

As far as maintaining them, they're just like any other AK. There are manuals for field stripping an AK all over the net. It's probably the easiest thing in the world. Pull off the dust cover, take out the recoil spring and the bolt carrier, bolt and piston pull straight out. You should be able to find a manual at an Army surplus joint or a gun show.

The difference between Polish models is (as far as I've been able to gather) that the Tantal is a 5.45 side folder, and the PMKMS is a 7.62x39 underfolder. Mags for both are readily available, but ammo for 7.62x39 is easier to find (not that 5.45 is hard to find, you just can't walk into any sporting goods store and buy it).

AK accuracy with Iron sights is sufficient for hitting a 9"x9" target at 100 yards, but not much more. I've never used a scope on an AK yet, but I'm planning on picking one up tomorrow. I've seen some pretty impressive results that people are able to get with scopes on their AK's. Get a realy Ruskie scope or a real Ruskie red dot (like a Kobra). You can get a 8x42 scope from militarygunsupply.com for about $150, and there is another Ruskie selling Kobras for about $185.

I love AKs now. I have 4 variants and I'm hooked. I like 7.62's the best, because they have the authentic AK sound. These are more addictive than ARs, because you can get good AK's for 1/3 the price and really good AK's for half the price.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
im interested to know how they look also motown, $599 seems to be cheaper than buying a kit and having a gunsmith build it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:57:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
im interested to know how they look also motown, $599 seems to be cheaper than buying a kit and having a gunsmith build it.

+1 let us know and take some pics too. I'm interested in buying one too.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#5]
ONLY $600!?!!?!  Sorry, I'm still used to AR prices.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 let us know and take some pics too. I'm interested in buying one too.

Ha, I suspect he's going to the same gun show I will be this weekend--they beat you if you take cameras in.    I'll inspect them as well, if they have any.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ONLY $600!?!!?!  Sorry, I'm still used to AR prices.

Funny, thats what I paid for my AR/M-forgery

Where are these cheap AKs of which you speak?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Would it be better for me to order a parts kit from Akron Amory and have it assembled or order a full rifle?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Also, which reciever is desirable with the Polish kits?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Yet another stupid Q... can the rifle be fired with the stock folded or does the safety get in the way... once again thanks alot guys.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yet another stupid Q... can the rifle be fired with the stock folded or does the safety get in the way... once again thanks alot guys.

Most likely it will fire either way.

The Armory USA receiver-1mm-is the most widely used "correct" receiver, however the 1.6mm Armory receiver can be used if you want a stiffer receiver.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, so I'm getting a better picture of what I need to do:

Buy Polish Parts kit off EE
Buy receiver
Buy RSA compliance parts
Send all this to a smith
Pay to get rifle assembled

Am I missing something here?  Also what smiths would you guys reccomend?  Thanks again!!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#13]
JNEWT, but you're gonna have to wait a little while. Shoot him an email.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Am I missing something here?  Also what smiths would you guys reccomend?  Thanks again!!!!

I looked into getting one assembled by a builder. By the time you get the kit, the receiver, the build, the US parts and have the rifle refinished it'll cost you almost twice as much as an already assembled gun.

BTW...Those PMKMS' looked pretty nice. I'd pay $600 for one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:30:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Details please!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Details please!

+1...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Details please!

+1...

The receivers look nice and the finish is really good, not all scraped up like the Romanian AK's. The wood is in good shape. The BC isn't finished (steel colored), and the one I looked at yesterday had a real smooth action. No catching when you operate the bolt. It's not quite as nice as a VEPR, but they're definately good guns. If you want a Polish AK, then these are probably the way to gun. Unless you have the tools and know how to build one on your own (which I don't).
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Speaking of builders.... I just realized Kreb's Customs in literally in my backyard...  Interesting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#19]
If you decide to go with an underfolder, mounting optics is going to be a little harder.  You don't have to ability to have a mount and sight hanging from the side.  You'll have to either get a dust cover mount or one that replaces or goes over the gas tube.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you decide to go with an underfolder, mounting optics is going to be a little harder.  You don't have to ability to have a mount and sight hanging from the side.  You'll have to either get a dust cover mount or one that replaces or goes over the gas tube.

I've pretty much ditched the idea of optics, but thanks anyways.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#21]
You don't have to buy RSA compliance parts.  Their trigger is quite a bit more expensive than a G2.  Tapco is a common source for compliance parts.  DPHArms also has good prices on some stuff.  Global Trades has a variety of pistol grips.  I'm going to order my next receiver from GT and get a pistol grip at the same time.  
Aside from that, you pretty much have it down.

Quoted:
Buy Polish Parts kit off EE
Buy receiver
Buy RSA compliance parts
Send all this to a smith
Pay to get rifle assembled

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#22]
You guys are awesome, thanks alot for the help.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I am doing the same thing and live 5 minutes from our border.  I've already ordered a Grade 1 PMKMS kit from Bob Williams and will be ordering an Ohio Ordnance Receiver to build on.  Yes, I will be doing this myself.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#24]

If the pic works,here's mine.A PMKMS kit on an OOW rec built by In Range.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/jaodom722/8-11-05a.jpg

If the pic works,here's mine.A PMKMS kit on an OOW rec built by In Range.

You sir are a bastard, especially since I have to wait for my kit to come in now...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Another quick question: Which parts would be easiest to change out and am I ok by have the following US made parts:

Fire control group
Pistol Grip
Receiver
Gas Piston

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You sir are a bastard, especially since I have to wait for my kit to come in now...

Well..................damn.

You'll need 6 US parts to be compliant,you can use the ones you have listed or you can use 4 of the ones listed and a US mag follower and floor plate.

How about a smily next time you call me a Bastard.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top