Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 6:49:20 AM EDT
This is not "Correct" but I kinda like it ... Looks better in the sun light ... This is one of Laukart's deals from Poland ... The pistol grip didn't come from him but it's a Polish laminate ...

It's just two coats of a tinted Orange Shellac ... Then I knocked the gloss off with 0000 steel wool ...

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:15:45 AM EDT
Looks great JR.

What was the process for refinishing it?

Did you strip it to bare wood first?

What's the process for the shellac apllication?

I have two polish underfolders, and bought 2 buttstocks from Laukart as well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:23:31 AM EDT
No stripping ... Just rubbed down the wood with 0000 steel wool ...

Thinned Shellac with denatured alcohol ... 50/50 or more ... Shellac needs to be fairly thin ...

2 coats ... takes about 1 hr to dry between coats ...

Final rub with 0000 steel wool ... the beauty is you can redo the whole thing in a few minutes ...

Alcohol and steel wool will strip it in a flash ... If you like to smoke while you work it will be a big flash

Try a little iodine to tint the shellac ... Post some pics ... it's really easy to do ...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:58:39 AM EDT
NICE, I do love that Polish wood!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:25:43 AM EDT
That looks really nice Jugrunner! Is this "orange" shellac the same as the amber shellac? I had good results with the amber stuff on rommy wood.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:47:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tapeo1:
That looks really nice Jugrunner! Is this "orange" shellac the same as the amber shellac? I had good results with the amber stuff on rommy wood.

Yes Sir ... same stuff ... Back in the old days it was called orange ... amber is correct ...

I've probably finished 50 stock sets and it works everytime ...

Still can't match Z-Recto's stuff tho ...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:20:21 PM EDT
Now that you've got that funny looking pistol grip taken care of, are you over being afraid to shoot your rifle?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:38:59 PM EDT
Shit I was just gonna say I dont like the looks of that pistol grip.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:46:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lancew:
Now that you've got that funny looking pistol grip taken care of, are you over being afraid to shoot your rifle?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:51:18 PM EDT
This AK stuff is quite addicting!

This grip came with the stock set, it's kind of extra fancy, do they use this on military grade rifles?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:22:34 PM EDT
Yep ... same grip that came with mine ... very nice grips from Poland ... Seems to be slightly larger than most bakelites ...

Cool looking colors too ... One of the few bakelite grips that I actually like ...

I assume they are military issue grips ...
Top Top