Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/9/2003 1:43:25 PM EDT
As much as I like the look and feel of wood, I have to admit, that synthethic stocks have certain pratical applications- especially with AKs. So, what do you think? I like the Bulgarian black stock, but the U.S. made plum colored one has me intrigued. Anybody have one? I've never seen a good picture....how purple is it? Do you guys like the extra 1.25" "NATO" length?
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:14:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:01:40 PM EDT
Have you thought of restaining the wood stock??
Ive seen a couple done in a cherry colored stain that look super. I just restained an M44 Polish laminated stock that came out looking great. A little paint/varnish remover and sanding you can get a damn good looking wood stock without spending a small fortune.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:23:20 PM EDT
Yep, already refinished the stock....turned out nice, but the damn hanguards get way too hot. My clearcoat has started to bubble. ( I'm big on bump firing.)
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:28:28 PM EDT
Campy's plum does not look nearly as gay as I thought it would. I still prefer the look of wood on AKs, but the heat sheilded poly handguards are clearly superior in function.
I am split on length; my SAR1/Kobra gun enjoys a 1" rubber extension, and my 5.45 guns enjoy commie length with irons or scopes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:29:40 PM EDT
Campy's plum does not look nearly as gay as I thought it would. I still prefer the look of wood on AKs, but the heat sheilded poly handguards are clearly superior in function.
I am split on length; my SAR1/Kobra gun enjoys a 1" rubber extension, and my 5.45 guns enjoy commie length with irons or scopes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 9:05:13 PM EDT
Don't know about the plumb color, but I like the black stock on my 74. I'm considering ordering a green stock set for my SAR 2. Those look neat....I'm going to have to remind Engineer that he volunteered to install it for me!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:36:27 AM EDT
Are the Bulgarian buttstocks the same length as the factory SAR buttstock? Are they pre-drilled for the stock screws?
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:31:20 AM EDT
Sounds like you need a stock that has the metal heat guard in it. AKs sure get hot quick and stay that way for awhile.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:15:38 AM EDT
I've the all black k-var stocks on my SAR-1. Looks great and extra evil, and the heat isn't a problem with the shield, even after bumping.

I'm not a fan of the plum, but I have seen one of the green stock sets on a SAR somewhere on this site, and it looked really cool. I would've done the green stocks, but I'm trying to get an all black 3-gun set-up (just missing a pistol now).
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:32:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mach1:
Are the Bulgarian buttstocks the same length as the factory SAR buttstock? Are they pre-drilled for the stock screws?

I think the purple would look cool!

Check out KVAR at:
www.k-var.com/

I put extended length OD green stocks on my SAR1. They are not pre-drilled but that was really easy. Infact the only hard part was getting the old butstock off. Then I learned the trick and it came off real easy.

The trick to get the butstock off is to unscrew it from the receiver obviously. Put the whole gun in a vise, protect it's finish ofcourse. Then slap the sides of the stock with the but of your hand or a rubber mallet, it will come out real easy.

Much easier than the system on linx310.nothingbutguns.com/

Ofcourse I didn't realize the trick until I'd torn the old stock to pieces.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 12:18:02 PM EDT
I have a SAR-2 that I put the 1.25" longer K-Var plum color stocks on. I like the look and the longer length works better for me. I don't know how anyone over 5 ft tall can shoot the SAR with original length stock.

Like CampyBob says, the plum looks like black unless you are in a bright room or outdoors. The OD green looks pretty sharp too if you are going for a camo look. Of course black is proper formal dress for any occasion......
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:11:12 PM EDT
Kvar plum stock on a Norinco Mak-90 stamped receiver. Had to shave off some material on the but stock. The k var was molded from a eastern European stock. I hear that the Chinese receivers are made of thicker metal. US FCG to make the riffle legal.

Top Top