Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/27/2007 7:32:48 PM EDT
I keep hearing that Century's new black poly handguards have a tendency to melt, but I haven't seen it personally.

Enough heresay, let's see what you got!

If you have rapid-fired/bump fired a crapload of rounds WITHOUT melting your Century furniture, please speak up also. Let us know how many rounds (in how much time) the handguards were able to handle satisfactorily.

Let's get to the bottom of this!

Link Posted: 7/9/2007 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I recently purchased a Century Yugo underfolder that came with the black plastic hand guards...Looks SEXY, but HOTTER THAN THE HINGES HELL after 60 to 90 rounds.  I know wood is always an option, but I was contemplating about trying to install an aluminum heat shield like the AR-15 hand guards and drilling holes in the bottom to help with ventilation. If anyone has any ideas or constructive criticism, I'm willing to listen.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#2]
WOW...21 days and no pics or stories about anyone's poly handguards melting...my guess would be that they don't really melt. I guess it's safe for me to go ahead and buy that yugo underfolder with the poly furnature i've been eyeing
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine get hot, but no signs of melting. I think you are good to go.
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine have gotten very hot but when I took them off to take a look at them I couldn't see any melting or damage at all.  Looking at them off the gun, they seem pretty stout.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
BTT ...

We all know AK handguards get freakin' HOT, period. We've all seen the youtube videos of wooden AK handguards that (supposedly) actually caught fire and burst into flames after multiple drums on full auto.

I myself am confident that at least SOME of those videos are real.

Therefore, there should be no reason to doubt that yes, these handguards WILL melt at some point. If wood will burn, plastic will melt. The question is, what will it take to make it happen? How many rounds, how fast?

At this point quite a few of these plastic hanguards are out there, so they must be holding up pretty well ... unless the price of ammo is keeping anybody from bumping off a few mags just for the hell of it.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump.
Link Posted: 8/24/2007 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have bumped 3 30rd mags as fast as I could with no melting, I had to stop because the hand guards had gotten to hot to hold on to.  They heat up faster than any handguards I have used so far, but no sign of melting..
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I believe we can put this myth to rest.  They get too hot to hold before they melt. I love my Ugo M70AB2 just as much as my Arsenal SAM7 A1.    While the Century polymer handguards aren't the sexiest looking things in the world, they work just fine. I'd personally like wooden handguards b/c of the looks but I'm not paying $70 for a set from Ironwood.   Get you a good thick leather glove if you're heating them up too much.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2007 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#9]
From what I remember a guy posted pics in the" build it yourself "forum. He was complaining about his hand guards being loose. It showed the plastic hand guards that Century was installing on their Yugo AKs. Try doing a search there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#10]
http://IMG]i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee203/frankcastle762x39/meltedhg.jpg

I believe I had ran about 300-400 of black box Wolf in less than 45 min.
The bottom guard felt a bit softer and had some slide to it. It only melted on the area that was touching metal.
I switched to wooden grips shortly there after.

Does anyone know if there is a heat shield that will fit the Yugo grips?
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I see your pic but did this damage show on the outside surface of the grip?  Did it affect the functioning qualities of the rifle?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#12]
In no way was the functionality affected. There waqs no signifigant damage to the outside surface of the grip.
The front end of the guard got a bit softer and I was able to smoosh it forward.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Why?
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Fired my friends plastic handguard yugo and they did get warm, but did not show signs of melting, unlike my PTR91 that bubbled the handguard and melted after two 20 rd mags on rapid fire...
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

Because some of us like to acquire knowledge.

But don't worry, little fella, that will never happen to you.

Link Posted: 9/24/2007 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#16]
if anyone is looking to get rid of their synthetic handguards... please IM me... i've been looking for a set for my yugo...
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
if anyone is looking to get rid of their synthetic handguards... please IM me... i've been looking for a set for my yugo...

Century sells them and Tantal does also.
There is also a pair for sale on AK Files $25 shipped
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a brand new set I`ll trade for a wood set.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:03:25 AM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
I recently purchased a Century Yugo underfolder that came with the black plastic hand guards...Looks SEXY, but HOTTER THAN THE HINGES HELL after 60 to 90 rounds.  I know wood is always an option, but I was contemplating about trying to install an aluminum heat shield like the AR-15 hand guards and drilling holes in the bottom to help with ventilation. If anyone has any ideas or constructive criticism, I'm willing to listen.  

I had the same problem, just never thought to take it apart to look inside.  I'm pretty interested in the Galil handguard from Tapco (Tapco Galil Handguard ), but my computer's so full of bugs I'm worried about giving out a credit card number.  I think it would be worth a call, thought.

I'm planning on shooting it later today, so I'll probably check after the shoot when I clean it.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top