Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/17/2005 4:20:37 AM EDT
I had no luck in the Chinese forum, so I'm putting this here for a wider audience.

The man I bought this trunnion from got it in a parts lot and couldn't tell me what it is. He thought it might be Chinese, and I agree but it isn't marked like any I've seen before.

It takes a 19mm barrel, and the rivet pattern is Chinese, but its only
markings are a 6-digit serial on the left side and some stray (proof?)
marks on the right. No factory code or ChiCom characters.

Can anyone confirm the country of origin? Thanks

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Chinese.

If it looks like Chinese, has a chinese rivit pattern, its probably Chinese.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:50:15 AM EDT
[#2]

I agree that it looks Chinese, and is probably Chinese, but I posted this again because I'm looking for someone who's seen one like this, and can tell me what rifle it came off and why there aren't any arsenal marks.

Maybe not Chinese?  I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Global Trades contracted with the Bulgarians to make 19mm trunnions, but I've never seen one.  Have you?

I've seen a lot of Chinese AK's and even owned a couple, but I've never seen a Chinese trunnion with only a serial number.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#3]

No arsenal marks depends on the contract... Second, the overall shape and the font of the stamping give it away.

The global trades ones were Euro pattern. They were 19mm for the barrels, that was all.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Martin and I also were talking about it on the phone the other night- coulda been a B-west part that never made it onto one of those rifles... I'll get Yasnevo over to see what he says...

-C
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Martin and I also were talking about it on the phone the other night- coulda been a B-west part that never made it onto one of those rifles... I'll get Yasnevo over to see what he says...

-C

You guys may be right.  I remember seeing a B-West AK47 on Gunbroker early last year and the serial number was the same number of digits and there were no arsenal markings on the trunion.  I have three trunions like this including a barreled trunion with the s/n: 002013.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I agree that it looks Chinese, and is probably Chinese, but I posted this again because I'm looking for someone who's seen one like this, and can tell me what rifle it came off and why there aren't any arsenal marks.

Maybe not Chinese?  I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Global Trades contracted with the Bulgarians to make 19mm trunnions, but I've never seen one.  Have you?

I've seen a lot of Chinese AK's and even owned a couple, but I've never seen a Chinese trunnion with only a serial number.

I have one and they were made in the European pattern.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:32:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Thanks to all for your comments.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Can't say with 100% certainity...but, it sure looks like the stuff that B-West had back in the day when they had a AK factory in Marana AZ... The stamping sure looks like it.

I would say its Chinese...

Y-
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#9]

I've had several people confirm that it's a B-West trunnion.

I never owned one, but I had always known that the B-West AK's had a reputation for poor receivers that were too soft and would deform.  I presume that mine was from a rifle that was stripped and sold for parts.

What I didn't know, until I started searching the Web for pictures of B-West guns, was the rest of the story.

B-West contracted with the Chinese for parts, and assembled them onto domestically-made receivers.  The problem was that B-West was having a local machine shop produce the receivers, but B-West held the manufacturing license.  The Feds stepped in ruled that the machine shop was manufacturing firearms without a license.  As part of a deal that kept them from being prosecuted, B-West was to get out of the AK business for good.

I'm paraphrasing this from several sources I found on the Web.  If anyone can add more or correct what I've written, I'd welcome your input.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top