Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/7/2003 12:37:01 AM EDT
I'm having trouble deciding about whether to switch to a Kvar polymer furniture set or stick with the more traditional wooden furniture. It's for an SAR1 with the AKUSA treatment. The wood is refinished and looks pretty good. It has that trditional AK look to it. The stock however is too short for me, and with the Cobra mounted, my cheeck weld is too low. I found a site that sells extenders, and cheekrests for the stock, but I'm wondering if the Kvar stocks make that unnecessary. Also are the polymer furniture sets lighter? This rifle is getting kind of heavy with the muzzle break, Cobra, and a 40rd mag. Any input is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, I think the extended length K-var stock set will help with your comfort level and cheek weld/Kobra issue.

Just a guess, but from how you describe how your rifle 'fits' you I can only compare to how mine fit me. I dig the 'shorty' stock the AK is known for, the look is part of the Kalish mystique.

Comfort though is where it's at, accuracy tends to follow. You'll probably never meet a anyone who says "Damn, this gun shoots great but the stock is too short." I'd be willing to bet that you will meet a someone who says "I didn't like this gun until I changed the stock set for a longer buttstock."

Wood or polymer, I like both, standard and extended length. There is no peer pressure here, try both and choose what feels the best.

It's not easy from the order form, but then again these items come up for sale frequently and if you have to 'try it before you buy it' you can either buy new or used to make the decision.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you went way blond with the wood, get a 1" rubber stock extension (what I enjoy on my SAR1 with Kobra).
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I say buy the synthetic black furniture.  This way you can always change the look of you rifle when you feel like it.  Thats what I do with my SAR1.   Sometimes I like it all black, other times I go for a more traditional look using its original wood.

If you want to extend your stock, the Bulgarian rubber stock extender looks and feels good.  I needed it because im a tall guy with long arms and the stock was just too small for me.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input guys. Since as Campy said the weight difference isn't a huge factor, I'm more inclined to try a stock extender cheek rest combo I found at www.campingsurvival.com. That will just add on to the stock I have now. Another cool thing about the Kvar stocks is the placement of sling attachment. It doesn't look like it would take much work to move the sling Attachment to the inside of the stock like the Kvar version. I just wonder if it would get snagged on my LBV in that position, or my face.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top