Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 10:09:28 PM EDT
I took these pics of the Bison while in Russia. I fired it a bit also. Main reason for taking so many internal pics is so maybe in the future I could make one. I had hoped that it would basically be the same as a normal AK. In fact, most of the parts are very different.

Pic from Izhmash museum:

Here is the one I actually fired.

It shoots great. Even my wife (who never shot an AK before)has no problems using it or hitting whatever she wanted.

Field stripped

Trunnion markings-That round thing sticking out is the latch for the folding stock

Chamber. Notice the differences

Bolt/bolt carrier. One piece, almost like a Colt 9mm SMG.

More views of the Bolt

Thats it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:55:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:22:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:13:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn I NEED a Bison.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
How does the magazine work?  Did you get any photos of the magazine?

This is so neat.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#5]
That's one dirty gun.

It looks like one could copy it if they had some machine tools on hand.  I don't mean a direct copy of course, but more or less a rough "clone" using modified normal AK parts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
....also, note the filth!....gotta love it! You must have a lot of faith in your product to let somebody test fire it while it is that dirty. Don't thing we will see any 9mm Colts doing that!

Thanks for the pics!

Campys M-4 may not be a 9mm but it had more ash than that in it a bulletfest before you or I even got to shoot it!.  Part of the deal of us using it was I had to clean it!

5 minuites with an oily rag on the bolt and thru the upper was all it took, along with a couple squirts of CLP.  Would not pass any white glove inspections but removing the bulk of the crud will keep in going.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#7]
5 minuites with an oily rag and a tooth brush, ,a couple of passes with a bore brush and a couple of patches thru the barrel would keep that bison humming too.

I'll bet they werent shooting corrosive ammo!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I helped dirty up that same gun a few months ago; it never had one failure of any kind that I saw. I even loaded the mag, skipping slots as I went, sometimes 2, 3 or 4 skipped, but Viktor Kalashnikov assured me that it wouldn't be a problem, and the Bizon tore through the whole mag without a hiccup. I am sure they just stack up once the ratchet release is sprung, but it is still a neat mag design.
-C
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#9]
What caliber is the bison? Is the bolt welded to the carrier?
                     OJF
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#10]
These pics were taken after shooting 4 green spam cans of 9x18, most of it thru this.

The magazine is the only weird part. Not very easy for a mag change, but you do have 64 rounds. Its a tube mag, sort of like a Calico. The rounds basically spiral inside. It takes two people to load it (easily). One person hold it and wind it, the other to actually insert the rounds.

The bolt and carrier are one solid piece.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Seems a lot like the 9mm arf, blow back and no gas system.

Any suppressed weapon like that will get real dirty in a hurry, especially something with a gas system like the arf.

J
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#12]
BTW, the Bizon-2 can shoot 9X18 Mak, and 9X18EP
an enhanced penetration cartridge.
They will also make the Bizon in 9X19 (53 round capacity called Bizon-2-01) and 9X17 Kurz (64 round, Bizon-2-02).
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#14]
You're velcome! And don't forget your new one piece gas ring!

Are you the fashon rage yet in your new $10 six pocket chest pouch?!?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#15]
My cleaning philosiphy is to occasionally give them a quickie clean as described above peroidically and to give them a 'white glove' cleaning every couple thousand rounds or proir to long term storage.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top