Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 4:41:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/1/2005 3:34:29 PM EST by Jason280]
Well, I finally refinished my MAK-90. The original bluing had some assorted rust, mainly on the barrel, front sight, and gas block. The receiver also had a few bad spots. I buffed out the rust with fine steel wool, and cleaned up the receiver with a light bronze brush. The dust cover, safety, and gas tube were all refinished with an appliance epoxy spray that I picked up from Lowe's. It has a nice gloss finish, and seems to be pretty durable so far. The receiver and all other parts were refinished with 1200* grill paint. I put about three coats of the grill paint on, and cooked it for 30 minutes at around 275*. It really turned out a nice matte finish, and the piccs really don't do it justice. Considering I spent about $6 on the paint, I couldn't be happier. Oh, I also refinshed my mag with PermaSilk G while I was doing a few AR mags. It also turned out pretty well.

Now, all I have to do is decide between going back to all wood or getting a synthetic forend set.

So, how does she look? Almost too pretty for a workhorse AK!

Here are some before/after photos of the mag:

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:38:46 PM EST
Looks great! Almost bought a mak-90 not too long ago and I really wish I had
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:49:32 PM EST
Nice job Ga boy... Im about to start on that Milled Mak I just picked up. Woods on the way. Chinese sling is on the way , and also a couple of Floorplates and mag followers. Chinese and wood just go together. ... Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:25:12 PM EST
now all you need is a iron wood stock set. I have a bunch of floor plates and mag followers on my site www.MidwestArmory.com if your needing some cheap compliance parts those and a U.S. stock should do it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:24:03 AM EST
I finally resized and fixed the pics.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:31:00 AM EST
Here is my Mak-90 in black stock just so you can get an idea of what it would look like.

community.webshots.com/photo/24828162/72647460hjttys
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:32:48 AM EST
You need to replace the front sight base and gas block.

It looks kind of strange with the cleaning rod, just hanging out like that.
Top Top