Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 2:28:44 PM EDT
Here's the wood as I received it from Matt. It's unfinished but actually requires very little sanding to finish.

I used the RIT dye method to get the color. It was a bit of circus, too red, then too orange, then too red. I thought I screwed it up and tried some brown and that seemed ok finally.
Once I applied the tongue oil it all worked out to about exactly the color I was trying to get.

Here it is after sanding to 320 grit, steel wool, the RIT dye job and three coats of tung oil. I used a scotchbrite pad between coats of tung oil.

I did two more coats of tung and put it on the rifle.
These are pics of the furniture on my SAR2. It's really not as red as the pics would have you believe, it's more closer to the color in the top photo.

The figure in the wood is amazing.

I think I have to refinish the rest of the rifle now.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I think I have to refinish the rest of the rifle now.

Beautiful wood i love the grain on that stock, i have to agree with you though about refinishing the rest of the rifle. Good job on the wood.  McM
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a shame to waste that pretty wood on a Romak.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Snob!

That rifle has never failed in many thousands of rounds and is minute of fist accurate at 100 yds.

It's as accurate as my Garand.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Snob!

That rifle has never failed in many thousands of rounds and is minute of fist accurate at 100 yds.

Post that in GD.....

I double dog dare you!  

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Wood looks great! Refinish the metal on that SAR2 and it'll be just as nice as any other AK out there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Post that in GD.....

I double dog dare you!  

It is!
My Garand is a 53 SA and it's seen a bit of use, I think. It shoots well but it aint no tack driver.

My SAR2 shoots well also and it aint no tack driver either. Both rifles will put bullets in a space you can cover with your fist if you do your part.
Thats about 3 1/2 MOA.
I did a 3 day tactical carbine course a while back and ran that rifle for a day just for fun. Didnt shame myself one bit and I made some AR guys look bad.

Think it'll get locked if I post it in GD? It is the wrong forum but I'll do it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
That came out really nice. I've got a walnut set from Ironwood still sitting in the box. Seeing this post, I'm gonna have to dive into it soon!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:23:25 AM EDT
[#8]
ive been called a snob
i dont really care for rommys

but the sar's are great rifles
my dislike comes from the wasr's driveing the price way down on all ak's
and the fact they are vary easy to get and cheap so noone gets in the better rifles
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:24:27 AM EDT
[#9]
BTW she looks great and id be proud to hang her on my wall of ladies
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Cannot see the pics.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Cannot see the pics.

Photo server must be down.

Unable to open the Domains connection.

Make sure the SB_Domains connection string in the /Includes/i_OpenDomain.asp file has the current information to connect to the SB_Domains database.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Darn, I really wanted to see your pics.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:09:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Tag for when the photos are up.  Or you could re-host them at www.imageshack.us  Free fast reliable pic hosting...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Those look great pooby! Congrats!

I bought a set of handguards from Matt so I could use a red Romy plastic pistol grip but used cherrywood stain. I still need to put a couple more coats of tung oil on them. But my Romy laminated buttstock looks almost as nice as what you have.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#15]
pretty cool furniturey CP
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Good Job!

I wish they would make some Yugo stuff...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#17]
And here is my Ironwood Designs stock on my Milled MAK-90 (slant cut receiver w/hole).  I used the RIT Dye too...

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks awesome! Nice job.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top