Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/17/2005 1:39:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 11:31:43 AM EDT by Real_estate_salesman]

ETA: My actuall measurements are=1.20" at the front & 1.665" at the rear.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:58:50 PM EDT
Basicly I took measurements from a Century AK and built a jig that was the size of the I.D. of that receiver, I drilled and tapped (1/4")the bottom so I could bolt on the plate that holds the flat in place, you'll need to enlarge the indexing holes on your Tapco flat for 1/4" screws. You need to make sure the flat is perfectly centered useing a caliper, then crank down the screws. Then just start gradually hammering over each side a little at a time, until you get it bent all the way, then tap on the 90 degree bend to get it tight. Then sanmich it 'tween two blocks of hard wood and pound over your top rails. I've since bought a nice shot filled dead blow hammer with a brass face on one side, it works better. Now unscrew the bottom and pound the jig out..........you remembered to cut releafs in your jig for the dimples and the indentation at mag well, didn't you?
I like to stamp stuff into the flat before I bend it, like "made in the USA", I like to put the date on it incase I have to get it grandfathered in another bann. It was pointed out to me that I could just stamp it at any time though. Check that blue print, I'm not sure if those where my final figures. The smaller numbers where the size of the supports after I deduct the thickness of the top & bottum plates (I think). I know I'll think of more later.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:27:11 PM EDT
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:06:45 PM EDT
Where do you get the stamping tools?

Nice job!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:22:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
Where do you get the stamping tools?
Harbor Freight Tolls tools (can't spell)

Nice job!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:11:56 AM EDT
Thanks real estate salesman. You saved me a lot of work. I promised to try and reassemble your orignial post if you didn't object. ( My computer saved the thread and pictures seperately.) I'm going to shoot my new toy today.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:29:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By POLYTHENEPAM:
Thanks real estate salesman. You saved me a lot of work. I promised to try and reassemble your orignial post if you didn't object. ( My computer saved the thread and pictures seperately.) I'm going to shoot my new toy today.

I.m still waiting for pics of your build.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:01:04 AM EDT
I may just be missing it but if the 10 1/4 is length what would be the width. this does look like an idea I am going to have to use
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:20:57 AM EDT
What gauge steel plate are you using?

It gives me hope - as we have the same artistic skills
Great job.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:31:58 AM EDT
If you use a flat auto-body hammer, the indentations on the steel will be greatly reduced.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:27:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GMG:
I may just be missing it but if the 10 1/4 is length what would be the width. this does look like an idea I am going to have to use

1 1/4" Measure your trunions though just to make sure. Mine is 1 1/4" and works well, my steel checks out at 1.236, however I think it was called 1 1/4" when I purchased it.
Double_Trouble_2003, it's .186 approx. 3/16" I guess.(?)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:56:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 2:29:48 PM EDT by Real_estate_salesman]
Here are some better photos of it next to a completed AK.

Notice where I ground out for the dimples to slide thru?
Why are my pic always all pixleated to shit?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:58:04 PM EDT
What is the resolution of your camera?

If it's a decent resolution, 2 MP or above, then your pics shouldn't be pixelated like that. Make sure that you take a picture of only what you want; don't use the resolution as a crutch and try to take a picture with a lot of space around it and trim out what you don't need. Take the pic with as little space around what you want to capture as possible, and shrink the entire picture down to size.

Make sense?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:03:02 AM EDT
I need to borrow a digital camera. I promise to get pics as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:50:06 PM EDT
May I ask the experts here, what flats do you recommend for doing this bend it yourself job? What are the differences in flats between an AK47 and AK74 build? Are there flats sold that already have the dimples for the mag well?
I have an AK74 kit I'd like to build and I'm trying to get all the research I can on this project before ordering anything.

Thanks for all the great information.

GilaMonster
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:56:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GilaMonster:
May I ask the experts here, what flats do you recommend for doing this bend it yourself job? What are the differences in flats between an AK47 and AK74 build? Are there flats sold that already have the dimples for the mag well?
I have an AK74 kit I'd like to build and I'm trying to get all the research I can on this project before ordering anything.

Thanks for all the great information.

GilaMonster

Tapco flats. They work on 47s or 74s, on a 47 you just shorten the ejecter and open the mag well a little, they cum with dimmpls.
I've never build a 74 with one, but I MAY do a TANTAL soon.
Top Top