Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 3:17:08 PM EDT
Anyone have or seen any pics of AKs with a set of OD Green furniture from KVAR?  I searched but could only really find pics of plum and wood furniture sets.  I am considering a set of these for my SAR-1.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
No pictures but I have a set of the OD green.  The polymer is a little softer than the others, but it is a nice stock.

It is simialr to the OD green that comes on the AR-15 models now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have the extended length set or the standard length set?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#3]
ill post a couple of my ORF ak-74 with OD set
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool.  Thanks!

Anybody got anymore?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Man that looks unique.  What type of AK is that?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#8]
The rifle is a custom .223 built by AK-USA from a Saiga donor.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Not my rifle, (belongs to No4Mk1) but these are the K-Var stocks. (And they look like the extended ones.) I put the plum set on my SAR1 and just ordered the black set for my SAR2. I did get the extended length, and I'm really glad I did. You'll be happy with them.

1)You will have to fit the stock a little, and when you get it in place, you need to drill the screw holes.

2)It doesn't come with screws. Order some extras in case you tear them up trying to thread them in. Go to the K-Var parts and accessories menu, and look for screws. Last time I checked they were the first item on the page.

3)Start with a small drill bit and work your way up. I found that the final drill bit diameter is 5/32". If you go smaller the screw will be very tight, and you will tear up the screw head putting it in. The screws require a standard or slotted screwdriver.

Once you get them on they look great.

4)You may also notice that your lower handguard is loose. You may have to shim it in place to keep it from moving up and down.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of mine.

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#10]

4)You may also notice that your lower handguard is loose. You may have to shim it in place to keep it from moving up and down.

What do you mean "Shim it"?  
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Just for my education, can I get the skinny on this "plum" stuff?  Where did it come from and what is it on?  Also - do the latest 74s come with black furniture?  What is the difference size wise between the Warsaw, NATO and US K-Var stocks?

Thanks

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, you can find a Plum furniture set from www.k-var.com.  They also have OD Green furniture sets and wood furniture sets.  

Exactly what you mean by the "latest '74s" having black furniture I do not know.  But you can get any '74-type rifle from guys like Todd at ORf with pretty much any set you want on it.  Or you can get any 5.45 AK (such as the SEAK) and buy and install your choice of furniture at home.  

And from what I can tell, the Warsaw length stocks are the standard short stocks and as you go up the list, you wind up with the NATO-type stocks (same as K-VAR stocks?) that are 1.25" longer than the standard stock.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#13]
M700PoliceMember--

That is a sweet rifle!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks crochunter!  More pics near the bottom of this thread for anyone interested:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=58435
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What do you mean "Shim it"?  

If you look at the wooden lower handguard, it has a metal spring clip in it that presses against the front retaining band and holds the handguard snuggly. The synthetic handguard has no such spring clip. And no place to put one.

A "shim" is just a small piece material that you put in place to adjust the fit. For instance carpenters will use little strips of wood to shim up a window or door frame so it fits the opening.

In my case I was able to slip a thin strip of leather inbetween the front of the handguard and the retaining band. The metal on the front of the handguard bites into the leather. That "tightens up" the fit and keeps the handguard from moving up.

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just for my education, can I get the skinny on this "plum" stuff?  Where did it come from and what is it on?  Also - do the latest 74s come with black furniture?  What is the difference size wise between the Warsaw, NATO and US K-Var stocks?

Thanks

The K-Var synthetic stock sets are made in the US. I've been told that they are copied from the Bulgarian AK-74 furniture. And since I have a set of Bulgarian handguards I can tell you they are identical.

They come in two sizes. Warsaw Pact, and NATO. The handguards and pistol grip are all the same. The only difference is that the butt stock is 1.25" longer on the Nato model. The hardware is all the same.

I can't say I know where the plum came from, but I have seen it on Russian '74's. There's a picture of one on Tantal's web site.

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top